• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sources of Calcium

I was looking through a lot of the previous threads on calcium supplements for plants with curled and yellowing leaves and was wondering if Soil Logic's Liquid-Gypsum would be a faster acting source than dolomite lime or blood/bone meal.

The product claims to have a usable calcium that is equivalent of 200lbs of dry gypsum and is comprised of a 25% Calcium Chloride Solution. Could anyone provide a bit of input on using this stuff as a supplement?

not saying you should use it blister, but I use Botanicare CalMag Plus if I see signs the plants need calcium...our water here is pretty high in calcium so I don't worry too much about it...but these peppers are eating magnesium like not tomorrow plus the fact I have been washing it out with frequent waterings...epsom salt is a godsend...

Hey thanks for the reply AJ. I've never heard of that stuff before and can't recall ever seeing it on the shelves at the local nursery. Seems like it would be a decent choice as an additional supplement for plants that really need it. In my case it's been my habs and a few other hot varieties.

Yes epsom salts are a godsend.

EDIT: I forgot to ask if the bottle lists the source of Calcium like Soil-Logics does. Basically I'm not sure if there is a 'correct' calcium out there for your plants or if it's all pretty much the same, but in different forms.

you probably won't see it at your local nursery...it is usually a hydroponics nutrient, but can be used for soil also...the calcium comes from Calcium Nitrate..

Anybody use Rolaids? They are 550mg of Calcium Carbonate and 110mg of Magnesium hydroxide along with a little dextrose per tablet.

I've never used Rolaids as a plant supplement, but I have wondered about using dissolved calcium pills as a possible source. I've never actually tried it because I don't know if it'll do anything to the plants. I was hoping that someone could chime in here and provide a few water soluable sources like AJ did and go from there.

I use Foli-Cal by monterey lawn and garden products.
It was $9.00 but today they were $15.99.
It comes in a 16oz. bottle that makes about 11gal.

Too expensive now.
Gotta find a new source fast acting of calcium.
Stuff worked great for leaves and buds.
Plants really put out a lot more buds that set pods when I use it.

It is 10% calcium acetate.
Use as a folier spray or soil drench.

I used it 1/4-1/2 strength whenever I watered during budding and whenever the leaves looked like they needed a boost.

Don't mix it with Epsom salt to spray at the same time.

When mixed together crystals form in the bottom of the sprayer.
It made a non water soluable crystal of some kind.

Plant Crack?

The stuff didn't dissolve in water anymore-hot or cold water.

I just put the crystals in potting soil,after all it's gotta be some form of calcium and magnesium.Don't know if it was usable by the plants though.

the botanicare stuff is expensive too...somewhere about 50 USD a gallon...but you only use 1 tsp per gallon of water...sooooo...a gallon will make about 760 gallons...I don't use it unless the plants are telling me they need some calcium...and...our water here has a lot of calcium in it...most of the problems with my plants yellowing is because of lack of magnesium not lack of calcium....I have a few plants that have curling leaves and they are not responding to any treatment...doesn't seem to bother the plants in either pod production or size...

oops...ramblin again...

Ramble on Alabama Jack, how else can we Noobs learn.

I am going to try about a half a Rolaid tablet crushed up and dissolved in water tonight on my Thai's. I'll let you know how it goes. And thanks for telling me to not mix Epsom Salts with it. That was in the plan.

I've never had a calcium difficiency but I use wood ash from my woodstove and also eggshells and shellfish waste in my compost. Tums or rolaids apparently work well too. You can also use a tomato fertilizer, since they usually have a lot of calcium.
Using epsom salts or other magnesium sources may also aid in the uptake of calcium

I put a small pinch of Epsom salts in with the last batch of fertilizer and probably should wait a while to hit them again.

Ah,someone finaly knows what kind of plant crack I made. LOL
Calcium Sulfate...
The PH of the soil also effects calcium and Magnesium uptake.
I think a soil thats acid is supposed to be better.
If I remember right.

Back