commercial-kichen Sous Vide Cooking/commercial kitchens

Hi!

I have been wanting to create a bottled sauce that is based around black garlic and hope to sell. My method of cooking the garlic is 2 weeks sous vide and 1 week dehydrated. I want to ask now before I get discouraged in the future... will I only be able to do this in a commercial kitchen? I doubt I will be able to have authorization for the sous vide to run 2 weeks straight at a commercial kitchen. Is there absolutely no way around this? No way I can do the sous-vide/water bath elsewhere? Also I am from California

nmlarson said:
I'm curious what temperatures you're using for that length of time.....pasturization is what I'm wondering about.

The temperature is at 167 degrees F. The alternative method is typically done in a rice cooker at only 140 degrees F. 

Generally, all the processing...be it fermentation, barrel aging, sous vide....must be done in the licensed facility.

On the plus side, a sous vide machine has a pretty small footprint. Should be able to tuck it away in a corner somewhere and just let it go about its merry way.

From my limited experience with a shared use kitchen, one baker had sole use of one refrigerator which she paid for. I guess party guests did not like buttercream frosting infused with onion odors....

Just ask and see what options are available. Might work, might not...

salsalady said:
Generally, all the processing...be it fermentation, barrel aging, sous vide....must be done in the licensed facility.

On the plus side, a sous vide machine has a pretty small footprint. Should be able to tuck it away in a corner somewhere and just let it go about its merry way.

From my limited experience with a shared use kitchen, one baker had sole use of one refrigerator which she paid for. I guess party guests did not like buttercream frosting infused with onion odors....

Just ask and see what options are available. Might work, might not...

Ahh yeah there is a strong garlic despite it being submerged in water. Restaurants is considered a licensed facility correct? I think I will probably have a better chance finding one that will let me cook garlic for weeks at a time. Also, it is to my understanding all ingredients used/brought to the kitchen must be from certified/valid sources, how is this enforced?

Crispee-FL said:
Have you looked into just purchasing the black garlic that is commercially available? That is what I do.
hmmm I did consider it for a moment. I guess I can give it a test run to see how much I yield, I avoided this initially due to the high cost of black garlic. 

Back