• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Space pepper Hanjiao

Who has grown these? Ona whim I bought a bunch of different numbered versions. 5,6,7 and 9. Are they worth growing? What was the base pepper like, was it a basic Thai type?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I grew 5 and 8 about 3 years ago and they were okay.  Good heat, wasn't a fan of the flavor but I'm picky so that may be irrelevant.  #5 for me was about the size of a jalapeno (slightly larger on most).  Looking at my pepper journal, I didn't have much to say about #8 other than they were hot.

All in all, I have the seeds in my collection and if I get desperate, I'll sow then for some heat to add to my salsa making.  If I can dig up some pictures, I'll come back and post what they looked like. 

I can't answer your questions about the other types, or what they are from, but I grew #8 a couple of years ago.

Surprisingly hot and good flavour IMO.

20181119_184405.jpg

I am growing Hangjiao 3 (Solar Flare). It's a good pepper, but it's not one of those peppers you must try before you die. I have two plants and both are very productive. Taste is good, somewhat sweet. I like to add them to our pickled pepper mix because they create volume without substantially increasing hotness, and also enhance taste without considerably influencing it. Also, their orange colour greatly attracts the attention of locals here. Regularly one rings the doorbell and asks for M$10 of chile naranja.

I have sown Hangjiao 9 (Big Bang) a few days ago and am waiting for Hangjiao 10 (Afterglow) to arrive. Both are curiousity projects...

Thanks for all the replies.
Does anyone know if these are all mutations of a single variety?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back