Space saving with large pots?

Had a quick question as I am starting to run out of space.

Could you grow two or three of the same varieties in the same pot, if its 15-30 gallons, and train them to grow away from each other at an angle?

I have seen some pics of things similar, but wanted to know if anyone has experience with this type of growing, and if there are any issues with the root balls being near each other, even if they have enough room to grow.

I know production might be down a bit, but if they got all the nuts and water they needed, what do you think?

For reference, the 15 gallon pot is 18" wide so with two plants there would be about 8-10" of space between the plants.

Silly idea probably, just trying to get creative with the space.

Im also experimenting with 4 plants in a 80L container, I think the result will differ depending on the variety, Im trying with Trinidad perfume with a few worms thrown in. If you are using smaller varieties you should be fine.

Yes it can be done, peppers can handle crowding a bit better than tomatoes. I would do the math, even on your PC. Take measurements of the grow area, then compare it to the different containers you would use, including 5 gallon and 7.5 gallon buckets. Then go with the solution that offers the best compromise ie; more plants, decent root space etc.

You might find it favorable to go with a bunch of 7.5 gallon buckets, or bigger + wider smartpots.

Not sure about the divider in the middle. Probably wouldn't hurt, but may not be necessary either imho.

With good nutes + sun angling, you should get good production.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh yea, don't forget to consider the Walmart grow bags. Look at what Cayennemist got from a breathable 4.5 gallon capacity:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33003-bigger-pots/

Scroll over to the other pages to see how big they got.

fiveohmike said:
Holy crap the walmart bag idea is pure genius 
Yea i was impressed too. It's a great inexpensive way to add spare plants to your grow, it doesn't even need a lot of potting soil, just extra nutes.

Check out Cayennemist's 2012 + 2013 grow logs in the glog subforum. Or do a forum search for "walmart bags".

Well just made a quick run to WalMart and 10 bucks later I have 20 bags :)

20130527_100058_zpsa47e3bb7.jpg

fiveohmike said:

20130527_100058_zpsa47e3bb7.jpg

you, sir, are off to a good start ...

and welcome to the "cheap cvnts clvb" here on the forum, with me and mr. cayenne being honorary members :D

cheers,
Al

fiveohmike said:
Very nice, $10 bucks and you have smart pots for 20 plants, in a space saving upright size.

You can make a 7or 8 gallon bag out of 2 of those walmart bags btw. Cut the bottom out of one bag, then hot-glue or sew it into another bag. You can use the double bag for your favorite plants or heaviest producers (especially tomatoes).

Back