• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Spacing of plants ?

Greetings all you pepper heads ,

I've finally got my raised beds done. They're concrete , 2' wide , 2' deep , and 19' long for
one , 17' long for the other. My starter plants are hardened off and I'm ready to plant.

My question is how much space per plant do I need? I'm growing mainly a mix of Scotch Bonnet types. My old trusty "Square Foot Gardening" book say one plant per one foot square section.
Does that sound right ? My soil is deep ...

Also if you're going to get rain should you wait to transplants?

I tried to go back a find several posts from Alabama Jack on his spacing for his new garden
but got dizzy .... There sure is a lot of posts when you don't keep up with things !!!

Thanks and Peace,
P. Dreadie

morning neighbor...what you need to do is think about how big in diameter the plants will get when they are mature...I like to plant mine close enough together where the limbs from adjacent plants "intertwine"...IMO this method helps support the plants in the wind...at the end of the season, I will have my plants on about 18" centers (stem to stem)...

Thanks AJ

I guess Texas is one of the few places people 500 miles apart will call each other neighbors ....

I got most of my starter plants from Cross Country Nursery. Others I started myself. The only
info from C.C.N. about size is the height. 24" to 30" .... So I guess I'll go with your 18" spacing.

Thanks and Peace ,

P. Dreadie

Back