• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spam Musubi

A friend was telling me about it when he lived in Hawaii, it's available at all of the 7-11's so I had to try it.

I fancy myself a devotee of Spam. My palette is highly refined to where I can appreciate the flavor nuances that permeate this canned meat product with a half life. I feel bad for those lacking this unique gift bestowed upon so few such as myself.  :rofl:

I searched Youtube and BAM so off I went to the Asian store for ingredients but didn't know most people add and make a terriyaki sauce so I improvised and it came out good except I need to work on my molding skills.

I made a sauce with sesame seed oil, Hoisin and soy sauce then fried the Spam and added the sauce when it was done.
100_10211.jpg

100_10191.jpg

100_10221.jpg

It looks good but to me could use a crunch. I bet that spam would be good tempura fried first.

My most recent fave is the fried oyster roll so good.

The Hot Pepper said:
My most recent fave is the fried oyster roll so good.
Have you had the fried "lobster" roll? It's not real lobster but it's usually shelled crawfish tails fried and broiled with a sriracha mayo on top.

I can deal with the tuna sammie sushi but don't want it hot...

Ive never had it served hot. It was brought down to room temp before making the roll.

The little Korean market i go to makes them in the morning and sells them at the counter for a couple dollars a roll. No fake crab though but it does have little strips of egg.

Pretty sure I've never had it.

Its popular in Korea with older folks and ive heard its popular in Hawaii. Mom seldom bought SPAM. Grandpa on my mom's side loved it with fried eggs. Probably got a taste for it from eating K rations.

Yup it's big in Hawaii from American GIs after WWII. Large military presence, canned meat was shipped in abundance for food. Locals seemed to love it. 

Same reason in Korea. They even made a kimchi stew (Budae Jjiggae) that used whatever they could get from the US military bases. Hot dogs, SPAM, canned mackerel, blood sausage, beans....pretty much any protein source.

Its even available at many of the Korean restaurants i visit.

Back