• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Speed Up Seed Germination

I'm not sure that it would be advisable to scarify pepper seeds. They tend to be much more fragile and the seed coat is fairly thin already.

I have heard of these methods too from looking @ THP. The only hastening method I have tried is soaking in room temp water so far

Safer is better than sorry.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, I really would not recommend scarifying chile seeds perse' in that the odds of damage to the embryo are too great. You can germinate faster by following what I've listed below.

I planted 80 seeds in the above rectangular Ziplock storage container. I then covered it with saran wrap and then strung a large rubber-band around it. I did this for two reasons:

1) It helps lock-in moisture which is vital to seen germination.

2) It helps seal-in a warmth which is also vital for germination.

The rubber-band can easily be removed as can the saran wrap for spray-watering the soil with mist from a spray bottle.

The seedlings can be safely pulled apart and transplanted after the first and second true-leaves have grown a bit BUT be gentle!!!

From this single container I successfully transplanted 58 seedlings!

Now, if you want to speed-up germination... ditch the soil method all together. Get a paper towel and fold it in half, then in half again, then a third time. Mist it with a spray bottle inside and out and place the seeds inside then fold it over gently. Place the folded paper towel in a ziplock sandwich bag leaving a bit of air inside and place on top of you computer tower, refrigerator, television set, dvd player... whatever stays on all day that doesn't get too hot but stays warm and your germination time will be cut in half(depending on seed variety and genetics, of course).

I know that it helps the Manzanos out. Some of the seeds you have to do that to

More info please?

I have germinated nearly all of my seeds, yet despite the fact that they look very healthy and fertile, I haven't been able to germinate any of my manzano seeds thus far.

I believe the main point to scarifying is to allow water into the seed when the harder casing is not as permeable to water. Just soaking works fine for me, I don't really see the need to scarify, however I haven't tried growing manzanos. I'll take cory's word on it though.

I believe the main point to scarifying is to allow water into the seed when the harder casing is not as permeable to water. Just soaking works fine for me, I don't really see the need to scarify, however I haven't tried growing manzanos. I'll take cory's word on it though.

agreed. that was interesting to know, i had no idea but the soaking works just fine.

IMO pepper seeds germinate very fast (even superhots). The seed husk is so thin it isn't needed at all. I wouldn't even bother soaking the seeds (I see no difference). Best thing you can do is give em a humidity dome (the moisture here is plenty enough water for softening up the seeds) with 80-85 degrees. You should get sprouts in 3 days to two weeks from my experience.

IMO pepper seeds germinate very fast (even superhots). The seed husk is so thin it isn't needed at all. I wouldn't even bother soaking the seeds (I see no difference). Best thing you can do is give em a humidity dome (the moisture here is plenty enough water for softening up the seeds) with 80-85 degrees. You should get sprouts in 3 days to two weeks from my experience.

I want 24-hour germination, dammit! ;)

Back