• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Spicy Chickens Germination Trays...Bottom Watering...Condensation

Earlier this year, I tried to germinate some Butch T seeds in a Burpee mini-greenhouse. I successfully killed all the seeds by over watering, I think...I poured water on each cell, but it was hard for me to tell when to water. The condensation inside the lid freaked me out since I figured that any water inside the lid must be coming from the soil, leaving it dry.
Maybe someone can explain the reality of all the condensation and how it affects the soil?

I was watching Spicy Chicken's germination video where he seeds his mini-greenhouses, and cuts out the corner cell for watering.
Is anyone else besides SC watering this way? How do you know when to add water?

I have to get a handle on this watering business now that I've invested in a lot of seeds (some free, too, from this forum) from pepperlover, pepperjoe, and Cappy. I'm wondering if using those soft Jiffy pots might be the way for a greenhorn like me to go, instead of the Burpee mini-greenhouse. Can't make up my mind.

I use cell trays and I bottom water, but only for about 5 minutes per tray. Then I drain off all the excess water. Standing water left in a grow area can be an invitation for pests IMO.

I've had supremely good luck with boths seeds and clones using Oasis seed cubes. I think there are 104 to a standard 10"x20" tray. Just be sure to keep em warm and only bottom water. Works great.

I used the Jiffy Peat Pucks.. I soaked them.. thet tem sit for a few hour's then sewed my seed's. I used a spray bottle to mist/ as needed.. I would tap the green house lid to get it to rain the water back down.. This year I will be using a heat mat and the Rapid Rooter knock off type. I am basicly going to copy what SpanlyColts did this year Based on his Glog.. I will buy 5 Habs from the store and use those seeds for a lil trial run... More to get a better graspe on when how to water...

There is a vast amount of threads on this what I would do is grab some munchie's and take some time to read..

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32738-how-to-start-seeds-a-guide-to-seed-starting/page__hl__%2Bseed+%2Bgermination

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32530-germination-best-way/page__st__20__hl__+seed%20+germination#entry659935

I use cell trays and I bottom water, but only for about 5 minutes per tray. Then I drain off all the excess water. Standing water left in a grow area can be an invitation for pests IMO.

Do you use a lid on your trays?
How do you tell when to rewater?

Thanks.

I only use a lid until the sprouts pop up. Then I move them under lights with no lid.

I pick up the trays to see how heavy they are, and bottom water when they feel very light (almost as light as a tray filled with dry potting mix straight from the bag).

Also, when bottom watering you don't need to soak the trays until the cells are soaking wet. About 5 minutes works for me. The surface of the potting mix is usually still dry when I'm done watering.

I only use a lid until the sprouts pop up. Then I move them under lights with no lid.

I pick up the trays to see how heavy they are, and bottom water when they feel very light (almost as light as a tray filled with dry potting mix straight from the bag).

Also, when bottom watering you don't need to soak the trays until the cells are soaking wet. About 5 minutes works for me. The surface of the potting mix is usually still dry when I'm done watering.

Not to be an ass, but, how do you know that the seeds are moist if the top/surface is dry?

Not to be an ass, but, how do you know that the seeds are moist if the top/surface is dry?

Sorry for the confusion. That's what I do after the seeds have sprouted and the plants are under lights.

Before they sprout, I keep the soil moist with the lid on. You shouldn't need to add much water when using a lid. Just make sure the soil stays moist.

when I grew my peppers i used the jiffy pots with soil and jiffy pucks. I soaked them the first day and every day after that I only sprayed the surface of the soil with a spray bottle with 3-5 squirts just to keep the seed moist (everyday)there is no need to keep the entire medium moist all the time just the area where the seed is once the seed pops then you can start to bottom water. . the condensation on the lid will drip back into the soil or you can tap the top and it will go back in sometimes you wont have to water for 2-3 days but you still have to take the lid off to see if it is still moist

Back