food Spicy Joe's Salsa's -

Well, I was at it again, this time I made two salsa's for the Alabama game yesterday (ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!)
This time I made a Mustard Habanero salsa, and the other was a Chocolate Habanero & Brazilian Starfish Pepper salsa. I must say, I do think I prefer the later salsa the best!

Attachments

• 20140906_094816.jpg
    20140906_094816.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20140906_122308.jpg
    20140906_122308.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20140906_133124.jpg
    20140906_133124.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 55
dlsolo said:
They both sound awesome. How was the heat in the mustard habanero salsa? It sounds like something I'm gonna have to try.
Heat in the mustard salsa wasn't bad at all, comparable to a regular habanero salsa.  
I had to back off of the super-hots for a bit due to peer pressure.... LOL 
Roguejim said:
How about a general recipe for the mustard-hab salsa?
I always make it the same way -
half the tomatoes-
add as much garlic as you like - I like!
add as many peppers as you can stand - again, I like!
This time, I added a bit of cilantro, normally I don't but mins is coming in and I decided to try a pinch from the garden -
drizzle with olive oil then pop it in the oven under the broiler
take out when the peppers and garlic get roasted to your liking -
add the peppers, garlic, cilantro, and a couple tomatoes to the blender and blend it into a semi-liquid-
pour into a bowl and add the remaining tomatoes (minus their skins-forgot to mention this earlier!) and puree, not too much tho-
--since the tomatoes were very juicy I put them into a fine strainer for a bit to take away most of the juice--
then add them to the bowl, stir in black pepper and salt to taste...
P.S. This time I added a few dashes of sweetened lime juice for the heck of it-

I always use this recipe as a basic salsa, a jalapeno salsa for is one I wouldn't roast the peppers in!

Spicy Joe said:

I always use this recipe as a basic salsa, a jalapeno salsa for is one I wouldn't roast the peppers in!

Am I understanding this to say that you wouldn't roast jalapenos for a salsa? If so, you are missing something wonderful with those roasted 'penos.

Jeff H said:

Am I understanding this to say that you wouldn't roast jalapenos for a salsa? If so, you are missing something wonderful with those roasted 'penos.
I was thinking maybe of roasting the garlic on the maters' to see how that turned out...
but no, I'v never given serious thought to roasting a jalapeno..... although if I knew someone who tried it, I would for sure try it! LOL

Spicy Joe said:
I was thinking maybe of roasting the garlic on the maters' to see how that turned out...
but no, I'v never given serious thought to roasting a jalapeno..... although if I knew someone who tried it, I would for sure try it! LOL

Dude, try this one. I make this all the time. I don't follow the recipe strictly since I can my salsa, I end up adding more acid and definitely more heat, but this salsa is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1t-kZ-jNpY

Very nice. The roasting of the tomatoes not only tastes great, it keeps them from creating the "pink froth" when you blend the salsa.

Great job!

Dude, try this one. I make this all the time. I don't follow the recipe strictly since I can my salsa, I end up adding more acid and definitely more heat, but this salsa is wonderful.
I'll give it a try soon as the jalapeno's that are remaining on the bush mature a bit! nothing like a good salsa, beer, maybe some bbq'd chicken wings and Alabama Football! ROLL TIDE!!! LOL

Back