food Spicy Mushroom and Chicken Sausage Pilaf

QuadShotz

Banned
I haven't done a nice healthy dish like this in a while being that it's summertime, but my body is telling me I need it. Oh yeah, and it's awesome too. :-)

I didn't really use a recipe, but I'll try to lay it out for ya.

Ingredients:

(Not all ingredients are pictured)
S6303929.jpg

• approx. 1.5 C. Jasmine Rice
  • 1 Cooked Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken Sausage (casing removed)
  • 1 medium Walla Wala Sweet Onion
  • 1 large stalk Celery
  • 2-3 Orange Habaneros
  • 2-3 Jalapenos
  • approx. 3-3.5 C. Organic Beef Broth
  • 1 can of Diced Tomatoes w/ Caramelized Onions
  • 1 Tbls. of Chiliman's GPS
  • 4-5 Crimini Mushrooms
  • 2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. each of sea salt & black pepper
  • 1 tsp. Mexican Oregano, crushed.
  • 1 tsp. hot chile powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Chipotle Powder (chile meco)
  • 1 tsp, Cayenne Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Cumin
  • 4-5 fresh Sweet Basil Leaves, rough chopped
  • 1/4 tsp. Granulated Garlic
  • 1/2 tsp Curry Powder

Ok, prepped all the veggies first.
About 1/4" cubed for the sausage, onions and mushrooms and a bit smaller dice on the other veggies.

Heated up some EVOO in a pan to a nice shimmer, then piled in the veggies, garlic, shrooms, and sausage. Gave it a toss or too to get them coated, and then added all the dry spices and s&p.

Continued to basically stir-fry them all until the onions were almost done...a bit shy of translucent. We want some crunch left as they're still gonan be cooked with the rice.

S6303932.jpg

Now, add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat until it just barely simmers and cover tightly. (use some plastic wrap on the pot under the lid if your lid doesn't seal well - this is to steam the rice effectively.)

S6303940.jpg

Cook for approx. 15 min. then turn the heat off. DON'T UNCOVER!

Let it sit and steam for around 10-15 mins, then take a peek...it should be nearly all absorbed now. Stir/Fluff up the rice with a fork, and you're done. :-D

All soaked-in, fluffed up, and ready to rock.
S6303963.jpg

That's all folks.
It's pretty dang hotttt and just packed full of flavors.
And it only took about 30 mins. :-)

Skol!

Here's a foo-foo shot of it served up with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped basil for garnish. :)

S6303965.jpg

It's got a nice upfront to lingering sweaty burn on account of the diverse chiles in it...it really is good stuff. Perfectly cooked rice, the veggies still have a touch of crunch, and the mexican oregano and sweet basil add to the overall flavors.

-QS

Good lookin' stuff there Quady. Must be something in the water but I took pics of my veg/hippy meal last night. Yours is almost hippy except for the sausage. Hmmm....maybe we should start a spicy vegetarian thread....what say you? On the other hand...nah...might have to be sober to do it.

Salute', TB.

Thanks TB!

Yeah, I really love this kind of food. I've been eating too much EZ but not really healthy stuff lately. My system and I missed this stuff.

I'll cook whatever mate...I still think spicy rice and beans (refried or otherwise) is like the perfect food. :D

Thanks Lucky!

It'll be even better tomorrow after it sits awhile and really melds together. With like 6 kinds of heat in it from cayenne to Naga, it packs a pretty good punch too.

Mmmmmmm....gonna have nice stuffing for a tort later...

Back