• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

spicy popcorn

Hab-Scotch said:
I make a lot of my own popcorn on the stovetop, for chili powder I just mix X amount into the popcorn seasoning jar & mix it good before shaking on the popcorn into plastic food container. The best way to infused flavors to the popcorn is the toxic way you know about - mix seasonings in the oil for 1-2 days to blend well & use it all up too. Or you can just add more oil for popping to have it more moist so the mixed chili seasoning stick better.

The seasoning infused oil method I do for Dill, dried Dill in oil (just what I'm going to use)  intense dill flavor with dill Kernel Seasonings.
I save that flavor for last since it makes a big mess in the pot, & don't blend flavors. Any other type of liquid seasonings I've found makes cleaning more work gets caked/burnt on the pot.

I'll make 40 quarts of popcorn at a time ( I said I make a lot ! ) 3-5 different flavors at a time. Here's some other info you can use if want.
If you like Kernel Seasonings seasons, for price best is Walmart & Menards - same price but if Menards offer a discount / rebate even cheaper still.
When it comes to popcorn kernels & oil, Snappy popcorn is the best price for both !

snappypopcorn.com 

I don't know your method of making popcorn but I love my Zippy's stainless steel stovetop popcorn maker, they're kind of difficult to find.
Then a 8 quart container holds 3 pots each, & perfect for shaking the seasonings onto the popcorn with a good seal to keep it fresher longer.

81apYGiGZmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dfdc97b9-6389-468d-b3fd-a159cd5387e1_1.f6f12200baf5951603ec137bdd249e47.jpeg
Awesome pot! I have a crappy aluminum one my wife got me years ago. The crank has a pinion gear on the shaft that turns another in the lid. This pan is a pos lol.

cmwr said:
Awesome pot! I have a crappy aluminum one my wife got me years ago. The crank has a pinion gear on the shaft that turns another in the lid. This pan is a pos lol.

I know the type you're talking about, many makers of this type. They all look like junk so I refused to ever buy one & went on a search and found Zippy's.
I bought my all stainless steel several years ago & never had a problem with it. It's well built the handle is riveted (big too) to pot, so no loose handles.
As the saying goes K.I.S.S. is always better ! Only 2 moving parts - the metal rod going through the glass lid, which is well built - and the handle knob. Well built = years of use !

Mine is just like the one pictured except the ring around the glass top is also stainless steel, only rubber is that little rubber lid.
Took a while to find a stainless steel version, you can find the aluminum with teflon coating version - I didn't want those. 
It seems like companies every once in a while find a stock of them they forgot about in storage or they sell out that fast once they hit the market ?
If you're a fan of making your own popcorn, I'd spend the money on a Zippy's stainless steel version !

Hab-Scotch said:

I know the type you're talking about, many makers of this type. They all look like junk so I refused to ever buy one & went on a search and found Zippy's.
I bought my all stainless steel several years ago & never had a problem with it. It's well built the handle is riveted (big too) to pot, so no loose handles.
As the saying goes K.I.S.S. is always better ! Only 2 moving parts - the metal rod going through the glass lid, which is well built - and the handle knob. Well built = years of use !

Mine is just like the one pictured except the ring around the glass top is also stainless steel, only rubber is that little rubber lid.
Took a while to find a stainless steel version, you can find the aluminum with teflon coating version - I didn't want those. 
It seems like companies ever once in a while find a stock of them they forgot about in storage or they sell out that fast once they hit the market ?
If you're a fan of making your own popcorn, I'd spend the money on a Zippy's stainless steel version !
I'm going to start looking. The one you've shown the picture of looks like it might actually contain the vapors better than the one I got? Mine has all kinds of leaks and the lid doesn't snap down so it always is open when you're popping and that's what makes my kitchen so toxic is the oil vapors getting into the air and then everyone's coughing and gagging lol! Is the one like what you got more sealed up so that it contains all those vapors?

cmwr said:
I'm going to start looking. The one you've shown the picture of looks like it might actually contain the vapors better than the one I got? Mine has all kinds of leaks and the lid doesn't snap down so it always is open when you're popping and that's what makes my kitchen so toxic is the oil vapors getting into the air and then everyone's coughing and gagging lol! Is the one like what you got more sealed up so that it contains all those vapors?

When it comes to chili vapors they'll still come out one way or another, slowly while popping or still all comes out once lift the lid - so your not getting away from the fumes.
The lid is a simple lift on/off and the weight is heavy enough the popcorn will not lift it. The ideal measurement  is 1/3 cup of unpopped kernels, this is for white popcorn I don't know about the big mushroom versions of popcorn. Oil is your choice to amount, I use more.
I don't use that little rubber lid, I put oil and the kernels in at same time & temp at 6 (little over medium)

Once I start it's like a factory line of popping corn, once I dump 1 popped batch into plastic container, then put new oil/ kernels back in pot. While I season the fresh batch shake it up & remeasure kernels for next batch, and stirring the handle, doesn't take long before need to take pot off heat and keep stirring to not burn & finishing popping, dump repeat.

Those containers are cheaper in Walmart stores vs online like half or less. 
They keep the popcorn fresh for a lot longer, usually its all gone before stale.

Back