• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

spicy popcorn

I have several mason jars of dried pepper powder in my cupboard from this year's pepper crop. It's come in handy for a lot of things like ramen noodles. Lately I've been putting about 1/8 of a teaspoon in my popcorn oil along with my popcorn seasoning and making spicy popcorn. It is pretty awesome although it turns your kitchen and several adjoining rooms into a toxic gas chamber lol. I was wondering about hot sauce popcorn? I'm not talking about drizzling hot sauce on finished popcorn. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding some of their own favorite hot sauce directly to the popcorn oil and then popping their corn in that? Will the heat of the boiling oil change the hot sauce for the worse or is this a way to get all the kernels evenly spiced and flavored?

I don't think regular hot sauce would work, as too much moisture would more than likely prevent the kernels from popping. In order for a kernel to pop it has to release steam from the inside, yet be completely dried on the outside. I think the liquid in the hot sauce would disrupt this.

However, what will work beautifully is an oil infused with peppers, and popped in a pot like the old school way. That is where its at.

Maybe, just maybe you might be able to mix hot sauce in with the oil first, then gently cook it till all the moisture is gone before popping.

AaronTT said:
I don't think regular hot sauce would work, as too much moisture would more than likely prevent the kernels from popping. In order for a kernel to pop it has to release steam from the inside, yet be completely dried on the outside. I think the liquid in the hot sauce would disrupt this.

However, what will work beautifully is an oil infused with peppers, and popped in a pot like the old school way. That is where its at.

Maybe, just maybe you might be able to mix hot sauce in with the oil first, then gently cook it till all the moisture is gone before popping.
I think you misunderstood my post lol. I was wondering about mixing hot sauce in with the oil prior to popping. In other words flavored oil.

cmwr said:
I think you misunderstood my post lol. I was wondering about mixing hot sauce in with the oil prior to popping. In other words flavored oil.
Could be a miscommunication but I understand completely what you mean. Think about it, if you mix hot sauce in with the oil, there is still water in the hot sauce. Oil and water don't mix. This is what I meant when I said that by mixing in hot sauce it would provide too much moisture, and possibly prevent the popcorn from popping, but I could be wrong. That why I mentioned at the bottom of my post that by possibly heating the oil+sauce mix, you might steam all the moisture from the sauce out, leaving a mostly oilly product. Might work.

AaronTT said:
Could be a miscommunication but I understand completely what you mean. Think about it, if you mix hot sauce in with the oil, there is still water in the hot sauce. Oil and water don't mix. This is what I meant when I said that by mixing in hot sauce it would provide too much moisture, and possibly prevent the popcorn from popping, but I could be wrong. That why I mentioned at the bottom of my post that by possibly heating the oil+sauce mix, you might steam all the moisture from the sauce out, leaving a mostly oilly product. Might work.
Ahhh got ya. I misunderstood.

No harm in trying, might work. I am always pushing and trying new things, some stuff works beautifully, others things dont. If not no big deal.

Do a sweet popcorn like crunch 'n munch and make spicy caramel.

PS. You don't have to put the pepper powder IN THE OIL! Just sprinkle it on after. Many people think it doesn't stick but it does. Shake it up good. 

The Hot Pepper said:
PS. You don't have to put the pepper powder IN THE OIL! Just sprinkle it on after. Many people think it doesn't stick but it does. Shake it up good. 
Thought of that. It's such a fine powder I am not sure I can get it evenly distributed

cmwr said:
1/8 tsp makes a hotter than hell large bowl (ghost powder). How would I get such a minute amount to coat such a large bowl?

If you want a very small amount you could mix it into melted butter if you use butter.

I make a lot of my own popcorn on the stovetop, for chili powder I just mix X amount into the popcorn seasoning jar & mix it good before shaking on the popcorn into plastic food container. The best way to infused flavors to the popcorn is the toxic way you know about - mix seasonings in the oil for 1-2 days to blend well & use it all up too. Or you can just add more oil for popping to have it more moist so the mixed chili seasoning stick better.

The seasoning infused oil method I do for Dill, dried Dill in oil (just what I'm going to use)  intense dill flavor with dill Kernel Seasonings.
I save that flavor for last since it makes a big mess in the pot, & don't blend flavors. Any other type of liquid seasonings I've found makes cleaning more work gets caked/burnt on the pot.

I'll make 40 quarts of popcorn at a time ( I said I make a lot ! ) 3-5 different flavors at a time. Here's some other info you can use if want.
If you like Kernel Seasonings seasons, for price best is Walmart & Menards - same price but if Menards offer a discount / rebate even cheaper still.
When it comes to popcorn kernels & oil, Snappy popcorn is the best price for both !

snappypopcorn.com 

I don't know your method of making popcorn but I love my Zippy's stainless steel stovetop popcorn maker, they're kind of difficult to find.
Then a 8 quart container holds 3 pots each, & perfect for shaking the seasonings onto the popcorn with a good seal to keep it fresher longer.

81apYGiGZmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dfdc97b9-6389-468d-b3fd-a159cd5387e1_1.f6f12200baf5951603ec137bdd249e47.jpeg

Back