• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Spiders are good for the garden, right?

HwyBill

Banned
Not seen any particular spider in my garden yet, but I did notice a silk strand near across some of my peppers.

This is desirable, right?

I am going to go way out on a limb here---but I would say yes.

If you come up to Door County Wisconsin in summer then get a hold of me and I will show you my peppers plants and all the spiders that want to live there.

I have about 4 or 5 spiders in my plants, they catch all the little nasties, one has a nice little ball of gnat under the lip of my one container. I don't touch them, they are happy as am I!

Well I know plenty of spiders are living in and around my domicile.. get the little mosquite type bites while I am sleeping from time to time..

Definitely seems worth it if they are protecting my plants.

I have about 4 or 5 spiders in my plants, they catch all the little nasties, one has a nice little ball of gnat under the lip of my one container. I don't touch them, they are happy as am I!

Werd. I will take their little mosquitoe-type bites from time to time with pleasure if they are protecting my plants.

I can't remember the exact name, but we always called these Banana Spiders growing up in Southern Illinois. They are FANTASTIC for your garden.

However, I haven't seen even one in Southern Indiana and been living here 20 years now. Unfortunately, I now see Black Widows. Not cool.

Yea, that's what we've always called them... but then again as a kid here, any spider half the size of your head that spun a web across the walking paths in the woods was called a banana spider.... walked face-first into many of their webs and done the "get-it-off,get-it-off" dance as a kid... LOL

they do a fine job, and ants are your friend to. They eat aphids and aphid eggs!
I hope I’m reading this wrong, but ants usually don’t eat aphids, they will protect and have been known to colonize aphids, carrying them to plants close to their nest and even picking them up after rain or heavy watering and returning to them to the plant. Aphids excrete a sugary substance known as honeydew that the ants just love.

I hope I’m reading this wrong, but ants usually don’t eat aphids, they will protect and have been known to colonize aphids, carrying them to plants close to their nest and even picking them up after rain or heavy watering and returning to them to the plant. Aphids excrete a sugary substance known as honeydew that the ants just love.

Yeah i worry if i see ants on one of my plants.

Back