• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sport peppers

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Recently had a chicago hot dog... and it had 2 sport peppers on it. This was the first I had heard of a sport pepper. Try finding them at a grocer in NY. Impossible!

You can buy them online at a store that sells hot sauce and related products. They're only $3.95 a jar and shipping is reasonable, too. Gee, I wonder who that hot sauce retailer is? I heard it was owned by some intellegent, good looking dude.

Cool. I saw them on your site. :-)

dragon i got a question for you....several months ago i bought a bottle of the blair its either 5 am or 3 am...long story short the jar has blair and the number on it in gold....well i was looking at it the other day and the sauce is like leaking out of the bottle.....so i took all the wax off of it and was cleaning it up and the only thing that is on the bottle is like a cork...do you know where i could find a jar with like a bottle dropper on it to secure this stuff so it dosent get all over the place?? i would need something that i could travel with to go to cook offs with.
thanks in advance for you help.

I sell a product to chefs all over the country for just your kind of application. It's called Pure Cap and it's a lot less expensive than Blairs 3 A.M.

What makes it work is that it packs 500,000 SU and it'll heat up anything without changing the original flavor or aroma of the dish. It comes with an eye-dropper so you can control and repeat the level of heat you want. A 2 oz. bottle is $13.95 plus S&H.

Right on Tina! I'm not a fan of capsicum extract type sauces either. Sure it gives powerful heat but everyone of them extract sauces i've tried I can tell instantly because of a funky oil flavor that appears in extract sauces.

If i want more heat I use more habs. Chiles just taste better to me. And give plenty of heat.

I see the cap extract as catering to the machismo crowd...."mine's hotter tha yours is...."

The primary reason to eat chiles is the flavor of the chile...no flavor, no chile.

If you really want to test your machismo, put a soldering iron on your tongue.

lol! Man, Willard, I'm with you!

It's funny, I see chileheads everyday, and there are all sorts of us.

But the ones with no staying power, except for the Gods who simply don't react to the caps, of course, are those who are trying to hurt each other with the hot stuff... There's a point in every chileheads life, where they either destroy their stomach and can't ever eat peppers again, or they finally get beyond the heat to where we are... It's worthless if it's just hot, it's also got to taste great; and that's why folks like Kato and my beloved Peppermaster don't have to put new labels on their bottles every year. ;)

And for all those jr. chileheads who think that just because it just burns, there can't be any flavour... Keep eating the chile's man, because the more heat you can handle the sweeter the peppers are. Peppers of note, the red savina and the Bahamian goat.

T.

The Best Hot dogs on the Planet are from chicago. And the chicago Sports Pepper is what makes them the best along with the other toppings.
You can find the seeds here to grow for yourself
Just look at that delicious Chicago Hot Dog. A sports stadium favorite.
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:
chicagosportpepper.jpg

Recently had a chicago hot dog... and it had 2 sport peppers on it. This was the first I had heard of a sport pepper. Try finding them at a grocer in NY. Impossible!
On Fire...you 'ain't' lived yet. I've been enjoying Chicago Hot dogs with the Sports Peppers as one of the toppings for decades. They even sell them at the O'Hare Airport. Chicago is also known as the 'Meat Capital' of the world with all of their slaughter houses. So they have great Hot Dogs, Sausage and Beef.
Everybody should try growing their own Sports Peppers. SO EZ to grow....and prolific...and perfect for pickling. They are a cool addition to your Chile crop...and something different.
:)
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:

Besides Pepperjoe, Tomato Growers Supply lists a Sport pepper as the Chicago style sport pepper. Sport #9044 http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot5.htm

Research on Sport Peppers a year or 2 ago led me to believe that, the Chicago Sport pepper is the Fefferoni pepper. But I can't find my research anymore.

talk about a blast from the past... :lol: ....this thread's last response before this was 6 years ago....

My first thought seeing "sport pepper" was trying to grow a five pound pod. Kinda like the guys that raise 2000LB pumpkins just because......

Never heard of a sport pepper :crazy: So much to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first response HOLY CRAP pepperjoe - did you really feel the need to respond? some of those members arent even here anymore. :eek:
2nd response - I was intrigued by these peppers as well and started some from seed this year.

Research on Sport Peppers a year or 2 ago led me to believe that, the Chicago Sport pepper is the Fefferoni pepper. But I can't find my research anymore.
I can partially back that up with some personal experience, that last time i was in Chicago my hot dog had Fefferoni peppers on them, i instantly recognized the taste, texture, shape, thin flesh, everything about it. It's pretty hard to mistake when you're accustomed to the variety.

I'm not sure if they're used exclusively though.

Maybe i should grow some fresh Fefferoni's this year, hmmm.

Back