• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Spots on JPGS only?

Hi all,
As I've gotten further into the season, I've noticed that for some reason, my JPGS are pretty much all getting spots on them when they start to ripen. Out of the 20 plants I have, the 4 JPGS are all getting it, but none of the others are. Could this be an issue stemming from a poor seed source? Maybe a fungus or bugs?
I do have a serious problem with stink bugs right now, and just found a hornworm yesterday.
Here are some pictures for reference. I've been picking them a little early to minimize the damage.
r55MQOu.jpg

cuW9NPw.jpg

LorwoS1.jpg

They're all in grow bags, same soil mix in each. They have also tended to stay much smaller and less full than the other plants. Overall, they just dont look very healthy.
Any suggestions?

looks like a sunburn, makes sense if there are no pigments in the pod to protect it from all that UV.

Some here will say that it looks like end rot. If you want you could fert with some Calcium Nitrate fertilizer.

It's in the wrong place to be end rot.  Literally, end rot happens at the pointy (or round, depending on the shape) end, where the blossom first forms.

I almost said that this looks like bird damage, since the first pics seem to be pecked towards the middle.  However, the last pic has a nasty looking calyx, with a spot that appears to be emerging from the inside, out.  That looks to me like a pepper maggot.

I see similar stuff in my garden with high heat and quick over-ripening sometimes... do you bottom water only or do they get foliar sprays?  I see this with overly wet plants sometimes also... seems like maybe they are starting to rot.  I pick a bit sooner with a little green when I start to see this in my garden but I still see some of these types of spots on some peppers.

No foliar sprays here. I sprinkle a little epsom salts around the base every now and then.
It has been really wet here lately, but this has been a problem all year long. I'm really starting to think that stink bugs are the culprits, as they are out of control right now.

Also, the insides generally look ok when I cut them open. Even in the areas with spots, unless it's a really nasty spot, there usually isn't much or any damage to the inside

Bicycle808 said:
If someone you know is visiting Peñnßylvāñïa, ask them to get you some fresh Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpions at the local mercado.

I had to wonder what JPGS is, also, since both Jay and Judy have one.

My bad, Jay's peach ghost scorpion.
Are peach colored peppers particularly susceptible to sunburn? It sounds great in theory. I'm growing one indoors at work, and all the peppers I've gotten from it are perfect looking. Obviously, though, there aren't really any pest issues or overwatering either

solid7 said:

I had to wonder what JPGS is, also, since both Jay and Judy have one.

Judy sells a "Peach Bhut SS"....I'm guessin' the "ss" stands for "select strain?"  I guess that'd be JPBSS...

I was mostly just pokin' fun at a fella whose posts are 90% comprised of telling ppl that their post belongs in another forum, or seemingly disingenuous questions about acronyms, or suggestions to obtain seeds by sending friends/family to "Méjico¨ to buy pods at mercados.  But i was also offering the correct answer, at the same time.  In chile jargon, there is only one JPGS... and it´s an aweso
me plant that produces delicious pods..

Well now I feel like a liar. My other plants are having some pods show the same spots now, too. I just noticed a couple bhut orange Copenhagen and red fatalii with the spots. So much for sunburn, i guess!

Yeah, it's some kinda gross mechanical damage, whatever it is.  You need to put on your recon specs, and see what's eating your plants.

Back