• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sri Lanka Red Opinions

I was reading through some of the 2019 grow down (backwards) for any opinions on this pepper.  What did you all think of it?
Was it like a cayenne?  How was it's taste?  Heat level?  I didnt find anything other than harvest info.  ( I only went back 6 or 7 pages ).

The Sri Lankan Chili Red is a simple pepper.  To me, it doesn't have any strong flavors to characterize it other than being somewhat sweet and juicy, with a decent heat level.  There's nothing there to offend you, but there's not much else that stands out.  I found it's heat level somewhere around that of a Jalapeno.

I enjoy dicing them up fresh, and adding them to something I'm eating or cooking.

I like this pepper, and I'm growing it again this year, but I think people struggle with what to do with this pepper aside from using them fresh.

There are other peppers that make more sense for powders, ferments, and pickled peppers.

I don't even worry about trying to preserve this pepper.  I have other pepper varieties for that.  I'll use them in-season, and if some of them go to waste, it' OK.

Another noteworthy thing about this pepper is it's anecdotal reputation for spontaneously crossing with other pepper varieties.  For two years in a row, I've grown three or four Sri Lankan Chili Reds, and I've had one turn out crossed each year.  :)

Back