• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Stagg Silverado Beef Chilli in a tin!!

Let this warn all UK readers off!!

silverado_can.jpg

I bought a tin of this in my local supermarket out of curiosity and in the vain hope that it might do for a quick tea-time chile fix with rice.

Suffice to say that I can make a chilli from dog food that would be better. I suppose I should not have taken seriously the advice on the can that it is made from "shaped minced beef" and realised that it is made with "sinew and residual flesh blasted off cow bones with water jets then strained and compressed into pellets with binding agent". Add to this the total absence of mouthwatering flavour in the sauce and there you have it. If this is an "Authentic American Chille Recipe" then God help our stateside pals.

I'm not going to be beaten though. I'm gonna overload it with garlic, onion and tomatoes and a dose of cumin and add a large slosh of red hot Habanero/Garlic oil that I made. Then I'll close my eyes and eat it.

aw right scimmy just noticed you've made it over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you want hot you wanna try the dynamite hot stuff i'm not saying that the meat content is any better (it's not) but they do state that there is orange habs in there and for a quick chuck it in the micro dinnertime fix it's ok, none of the other stagg tins are worth bothering about

Hi Dave,

Just finished modding it and having quaffed a couple of large vinos it now tastes a lot better!

Following your advice I might try the other stuff. On the other hand I'll just make proper chile and freeze it!!

Back