• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Standouts and disappointments from my grow this season

So far, I've had a pretty successful season.  As usual, lots of new varieties.

Just a few thoughts from me, and hopefully others will chime in.

My favorites this season:

Fidalgo Roxa X Grao de Bode - beautiful plant, and very nicely flavored peppers.  Just wow.
Inca Berry - prolific, and fantastic flavor, from a very compact plant
Red Fatalii - first time I've grown it.  This is my baseline for habanero-like peppers (sauce maker)
Yuqutania - another compact, yet prolific plant.  Makes a great addition to a pickle jar.
Aji Amarillo - I never thought I'd get this one, but glad I did.

Disapppointments:

Chocolate Brain Strain - just not as good as I had hoped, and a seriously needy plant.  Looked like shit for most of the season.
Jigsaw - this has got to be the hardest plant to germinate that I have ever encountered.  Seriously...

Not yet yielded: (no verdict yet)

Aji Fantasy Sparkly White - I have great expectations for this.  Damaged in hurricane, recovering. (was loaded)
7 Pot Burgundy - this one intrigues me so much.  I love big pods.
Fatalii Gourmet Rocato - looks like a rocoto, but isn't.  Recovering from hurricane damage. (lost my only pod)
Kathumbly black - I have pods, just haven't picked.  Such a beautiful plant and pods.
Cheiro Roxa - this one is supposed to be amazing.  Grows slow for me!
Obeah (F2) - one kind member sent me these.  Still waiting on first pods.  Almost there.

I want to hear what everyone else liked so far this season.  Go.

I second your thoughts about aji amarillo. I grew it on a whim this season. It will never not be in my garden.
     7 pot burgundy seems to be slow to get going. Once they get big, they load up pretty good. Great candidate for OW. Mine got snapped off in a June thunderstorm  :banghead: . Favorite pepper of all time.
     I grew orange fatalii for the first time this season. I really like the citrus flavor, but most surprising to me was how big and productive it got. One plant took over about 3/4 of a 4' x 8' raised bed. That thing is bigger than a lot of my two and three year old OWs and I have picked several pounds of pods off it every few weeks. 
     I think I finally figured out how to grow pubes this season (Peru Bitdumi, at least). Direct morning sun, and then indirect light for the rest of the day. It also needs lots of support for its pod-heavy ( :party: ), trailing branches - the railing on my front porch worked nicely. I'm going to OW two of them and see how that goes. Maybe I'll get a head start on pod production next season. 
     Folks who have a hard time getting pubes to cooperate with their climate should look into Peru Bitdumi. It's really adaptable and forgiving, as long as it gets lots of shade.

Jamaican Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Hab (different sources) are indistinguishable to me. from seedlings onward their growth habit and yield were identical. I could detect no difference in taste or heat.

it was just an experiment but I would pick just one to grow.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
   I grew orange fatalii for the first time this season. I really like the citrus flavor, but most surprising to me was how big and productive it got. One plant took over about 3/4 of a 4' x 8' raised bed. That thing is bigger than a lot of my two and three year old OWs and I have picked several pounds of pods off it every few weeks. 

I think I finally figured out how to grow pubes this season (Peru Bitdumi, at least). Direct morning sun, and then indirect light for the rest of the day. It also needs lots of support for its pod-heavy ( :party: ), trailing branches - the railing on my front porch worked nicely. 

Fataliis are, in my experience, probably the most productive year round pepper that I've ever seen.  Ever.  I planted out 3 one year, and ended up having to give away 2 of them.  At no time during the season was there ever less than about 150 pods, once the plant matured.

For the pubescens, I've just started growing them, thanks to some seeds I got in trade (which I still owe for, btw) from another THP member.  For me, the trick this year to great growing my difficult varieties, has been to switch to a coco coir based media, and use only liquid nutrients.  That way, there is no guesswork on the feeding.  I'm not talking expensive hydro nutrients.  I've just been using fish hydrolosates.  Nothing but success, so far.  We'll see what happens when the sun gets mean again.  The variety that I've got going now, is a Rocoto Arequipeno.

My Aji peppers did well and for the most part all the chinense varieties were a failure. The way it looks is that my 3 rocoto plants will have done better than all my chinense peppers combined . I'm just waiting for my rocottos to ripen.

One that really stood out this year and is still standing out...lol is Scotch Brain Long- seed started last week in march. 
20161016_125900.jpg

20161016_124648.jpg

Others that are must grow again's from this season:

Scotch Brain 
Hatch
Jajafeugo
My CGN215xxx X Chocolate Bubblegum
My Hot Rod Serrano X Chocolate Bubblegum
TFM Bonnet
Mustard 7 pod
Creamy/Mustard Bubblegum
SBS Purple Ornamental 
Yellow Bubblegum Bumpy - Possibly my most favorite Chinense
PeachGum Tiger v2
UBSC Brown
Bubblegum White
off pheno of Sandra's Jobito-Bubble that grow huge baseball size yellow pods that are amazing

FreeportBum said:
One that really stood out this year and is still standing out...lol is Scotch Brain Long- seed started last week in march. 

off pheno of Sandra's Jobito-Bubble that grow huge baseball size yellow pods that are amazing

Oh, my...   We must talk!

Glad I grew:

Inca Red Drop - great taste, compact, very prolific
Aji Amarillo - great taste, grew much larger than I anticipated, prolific
Amarilliar - great immediate heat, 3 foot tall, very prolific
Super Chili Hybrid - awesome for salsa, compact low growth, very prolific
PA 353 - great for salsa and very prolific
Bonda Ma Jaques - nice heat, very prolific
Yellow Brainstrain - super growth, very prolific, looked like a tree at the trunk in one season!
Beni Highlands - very prolific, ok heat, good growth
Peach Bhut Jalokia - great growth, very prolific, great taste

Not sure yet:

Rocoto: yellow, orange, red - LOVE heat and flavor but take a long time to mature here in Michigan. Pods didn't really begin to set until fall. May have to start these guys earlier in the year. Overwintering 4 plants to see how that shakes out!
Aji Panca - grew largest trunk of all 47 plants, prolific, just not sure about this guy fresh...powder might be better

Won't grow next year: not going to list anything here just because the reason I won't grow them is my personal tastes which may or may not reflect your own. Some were to floral or bitter for me which many people seem to enjoy. I like the baccatum and annum family of peppers best. Although, I really really like the pubescens I.e. rocoto pod flavor too. I just need to figure out how to get them to produce a little sooner :P

Edit to add Peach Bhut to the list

solid7 said:
So far, I've had a pretty successful season.  As usual, lots of new varieties.

Just a few thoughts from me, and hopefully others will chime in.

My favorites this season:

Fidalgo Roxa X Grao de Bode - beautiful plant, and very nicely flavored peppers.  Just wow.
Inca Berry - prolific, and fantastic flavor, from a very compact plant
Red Fatalii - first time I've grown it.  This is my baseline for habanero-like peppers (sauce maker)
Yuqutania - another compact, yet prolific plant.  Makes a great addition to a pickle jar.
Aji Amarillo - I never thought I'd get this one, but glad I did.

Disapppointments:

Chocolate Brain Strain - just not as good as I had hoped, and a seriously needy plant.  Looked like shit for most of the season.
Jigsaw - this has got to be the hardest plant to germinate that I have ever encountered.  Seriously...

Aji Fantasy Sparkly White - I have great expectations for this.  Damaged in hurricane, recovering. (was loaded)
Fatalii Gourmet Rocato - looks like a rocoto, but isn't.  Recovering from hurricane damage. (lost my only pod)
Kathumbly black - I have pods, just haven't picked.  Such a beautiful plant and pods.
Obeah (F2) - one kind member sent me these.  Still waiting on first pods.  Almost there.

I want to hear what everyone else liked so far this season.  Go.

I had similar troubles with choco brain strain.  I had 3 or 4 plants, I don't think I have picked a pod.  Lost one, others are runts or not producing for some reason.  Weird about jigsaw, I have had no troubles with it and they produce well and are a great superhot, one of the hottest I have grow for sure.

FreeportBum said:
attachicon.gif
20161016_125900.jpg
attachicon.gif
20161016_124648.jpg

Others that are must grow again's from this season:

Scotch Brain 
Hatch
Jajafeugo
My CGN215xxx X Chocolate Bubblegum
My Hot Rod Serrano X Chocolate Bubblegum
TFM Bonnet
Mustard 7 pod
Creamy/Mustard Bubblegum
SBS Purple Ornamental 
Yellow Bubblegum Bumpy - Possibly my most favorite Chinense
PeachGum Tiger v2
UBSC Brown
Bubblegum White

Damn, after seeing these long scotch brain pics, I am definitely going to grow it.  I thought the pod was great and nice, but if they have that kind of potential that looks like a winner.

SavinaRed said:
My Aji peppers did well and for the most part all the chinense varieties were a failure. The way it looks is that my 3 rocoto plants will have done better than all my chinense peppers combined . I'm just waiting for my rocottos to ripen.
Same for me last year. I though the Jamaicans had a little nicer more consistent pod shape but taste was very similar if not identical.  Probably doesn't matter which one to grow, I think I will go with the jamaican hot choco next year.

I had so many this year, I can't possibly remember them all, but heres a few.
Safe Red Scotch Bonnet - probably the finest tasting pod I have tried yet.  Not so much like a yellow bonnet but just a great taste to it.
Big Yellow Mama - huge yellow pods with a great not super hot but really hot yellow chinense taste.
Scotch Brains - outstanding taste like a perfect merging of a bonnet and yellow brain strain.
Wicked Mikes peach bhut, I tried them before but seeing what they did in my garden was amazing.  Huge gnarly pods and the plant won't quit.  I have picked hundreds and theres 50 more that probably wont get to ripen.
7 Pot Julian - a great almost jonah like 7 pot but hotter than jonah with similar taste.
Bhut Jolokia Strain 2 - huge fat pods compared to the typical bhut.

Borg 9s have been almost a flop for me - low production and nothing special to me.
A lot of different red habaneros that all ended up looking very similar or the same.
Orange primos - they never turn orange for me.

I had considered growing fidalgo roxa next season, mostly because of looks(admittedly I'm a bit addicted to bonchi)... Does that cross retain the appearance characteristics of the fidalgo roxa? If so that'll round out my grow next season if I can find good seed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mike5265 said:
I had considered growing fidalgo roxa next season, mostly because of looks(admittedly I'm a bit addicted to bonchi)... Does that cross retain the appearance characteristics of the fidalgo roxa? If so that'll round out my grow next season if I can find good seed.
I can't answer that, because I've not grown the originals. (only this cross)

As far as growing Bonchi... I usually produce very compact and non-stretched plants. But this one is tall and gangly. Oh, and I also understand that all of the seed from Fatalii is F2, so... (you can have some, if you like)

I apologize, haha I didn't mean to sound like I was begging for seed stock! I didn't know fatalii shipped to the u.s., I'll take a closer look at their page. I saw they have both the original and the cross, so I may just order both. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I didn't take it as begging for seed stock. I was offering, because there are so many nice people here who have volunteered their extras to me. It's just become sorta natural, when somebody is interested, to try and accommodate them.

Like I said, though... Be aware that this is not a stable cross. Fatalii not only ships to the states, but they are really great to deal with.

Right on, I appreciate the gesture! I really do want to try out the original, so I'm more than likely going to order from them and kill two birds with one shipping cost. Thanks again! Hopefully soon I'll be able to spread the love here the way you and so many others are.

solid7 said:

Aji Fantasy Sparkly White - Apparently still unstable.  My pods are huge, and have been hanging for months, with no truly ripe ones yet.

Fatalii Gourmet Rocato - It's a really nice pepper with thick crunchy walls, and great heat.  I'll grow it again.

Kathumby Black - It's OK.  More impressed with the foliage. 

Cheiro Roxa - disappointment for me.  There was a lot of hype on this one.  While it's a great producer, it's kind of a run of the mill pepper, whose flavor doesn't really stand out.

Obeah (F2) - Grew something so hot I have no use for it.  And something yellow that is too bright and floral for my liking.  I'll grow out a few more seeds, looking for that pheno that represents the perfect cross of its parents.

AND FINALLY

The standout was 7 Pot Burgundy.  My pods didn't get that huge, but I planted really late, and it still set nice pods in cooler temps.  LOTS of pod for the size of plant.  This is one really delicious pepper.  Thick, crunchy, and delicious.

31789103266_9c686dda00_z.jpg

Back