• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Started my seedlings yesterday!

I am going to put all my plants in the ground on 05/27. In order to account for potentially long sprouting times, I started some seedlings yesterday:

5 Open Pollinated Super Chile Hybrids
5 Open Pollinated Lemon Drops
2 Aji Amarillo's
1 Bode Amarillo
1 Bahamian Goat
1 Chile de Negro
1 Jwala
1 Fatalli
1 Mystery pepper from Northern India

I am rooting for the Super Chile's and Lemon Drops to sprout as the seeds are from my garden from last season. This is my 4th season growing hot peppers, as so far I have has 0% success in sprouting anything from seeds that I saved from my own plants.

I randomly purchased the Super Chile's from a local nursery last year. They are perfect for my growing zone, as they fully matured less than 2 months, instead of 3 or more for other Chile's. They also grew just as well in partial sun as they did in full sun, and even did well in a lot of shade, when the light was blocked by larger plants. I'm hoping at least 1 of these crossed as it would be fun to see what nature created. From my research, it appears unlikely that the Lemon Drops will cross. These were tasty and actually did have a citrus like flavor, more when fully ripe.

Good idea about the Fatalli's. I'm off to buy some more small pots today I'll try and start some more Fatalli's. I haven't kept track of my overall germination %, but it is not good and definitely less than 50%. I'm not creating ideal sprouting conditions and I think I posted last year that I would change my procedure, but have not.

I buy small pots, put some rocks at the bottom for drainage (started with the rocks this year) and fill it with potting soil. I then make a small depression with my finger, place a seed in the depression and lightly pack some soil on top of the seed. I don't rmeember the recommended better soil mediums for sprouting, but am too lazy to change my ways. I know I'll get some germanation with my method. Before the season starts, I'll report my overall germination % and the germination % by seed type.

So far, I have 5 sprouts:

3 Open Pollinated Superchiles. Cool for me as I have never sprouted anything from seed that came from one from my grown plants!
1 Bahamian Goat
1 Bode Amarillo

Back