• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Started too late for summer?

When I checked in on my cups of dirt this morning, I finally noticed green in more than 1 cup. 3 serranos, 1 jalapeno, and 1 pumpkin hab have broken the surface so far.

Yay on that front, however I'm beginning to suspect that I started too late in the season. Should I just grab 36 pots and tell the family that our living room is now a ghetto-greenhouse for the next year, or is it worth getting them outside once they're ready? Will they have time to both grow to size, and grow a batch or two of peppers?

Relevant info: Central Canadian weather. I believe summer was on a Tuesday last year.

You should be fine with all three of those. Serranos and jalapenos are quick producers, and habs don't take too much longer. In my experience, you could see jalapeno pods by the end of July/early August???

Scorpions are going to take longer, and I'm not really familiar with your zone. But I'd say doubtful. All that said, there are many posters on here that know way more about this stuff than I do.

Keep your plants potted, give them as much summer sun as you can then bring them indoors when the weather gets too cold. Don't pinch any buds and you will get some pods from your plants. Keep them going as long as you can indoors, then overwinter them for an early start next year.

Greentea has a great idea ! Overwinter the Scorpion! It will be covered in flowers and baby pods early next spring ! You will get enough this season as a tease!

The good news is that minus the hab you're growing they will grow and produce fast! But yes, very late start indeed! The hab will need more time. So I suggest that when the grow season comes to an end. That you get a decent 2500K grow light for it! :)

Had to bump this for another manitoban. lol.
Id over winter the scorpion and hab like the others are saying. I am new to all this but have one plant that i overwintered from last year. It was a tough learning experience. But so far its doing good.
Just waiting for nice nights so i can leave it out all the time.
Im just north of winnipeg as well.
where you at?

In Eastern Winnipeg myself.

I'm going to end up overwintering some of them, but with 15+ showing signs of life so far, and I'm sure more to come, I'm gonna have to make some tough calls at the end of summer.

Though, on the "plus side" (such as it is), I'm sure my inexperience will knock off a few of them before winter forces me to choose which live and which die / get adopted out =]

i was out in transcona for a year or so before coming out to where i am now.

i started with about 30 seedlings.. and now have 10 or so plants. lol.
As far as the over wintering. If you have the space. they dont take much water or light when they are kept inside for the winter. So long as you are not actually trying to "grow" them during the winter. The one i over wintered was pretty much a stick with a coupel leaves that survived the aphids.
now its looking pretty good and has some flowers starting on it.

Fellow Manitoban here as well. As Socapots can tell you from waaaaaaay up north in Thompson. Due to our lovely weather (it snowed again on Saturday) all my pepper plants will be grown indoors with the help of additional lighting and a mini greenhouse I picked up at Home Depot when i was last in Wpg. If you get big enough pots for them you can move them outside in nice weather and then inside. This little greenhouse was less than $50 and takes up very little room in my small apartment.

IMG00041-20120409-2257.jpg

I just doubled the lighting which the plants love.

IMG_00000023.jpg

correct. The cfl bulbs are Ott grow lights for $10 each and the y adapters were about $5 each. Got it all from Cdn Tire. Interesting that once I installed the y adapters and doubled the lighting 6days ago about 7-8 flower buds popped out on each plant. Going to pinch them off on some and keep some going on the others. Oh and the hanging sockets are those noma outdoor floodlight holders.

Keeping the plant instead of throwing it out at the end of the season.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25596-the-comprehensive-guide-to-over-wintering/

Question about my chocolate habs....

Aside from a few scattered cups, everything has sprouted except for my chocolate habs. 5 cups with 2 seeds each, full of dirt and no green. Did I get a bad batch of seeds, or do they just take much longer to grow? Or does my subconscious bloodthirst know no bounds, and I have slaughtered an entire generation of unborn chocolate habs somehow?

Side question:
Does everybody soak their seeds for 24 hours before putting them in dirt? Most discussions I've found around the net say to do this, but I tried both ways and labelled them. Without fail, the ones that didn't spend a day soaking grew faster and appear to be healthier than the ones that did soak. Poison water, or is soaking just not necessary?

Soaking for 24 hours is a bit long IMO -- I normally soak for about 3-4 hours in warm (80 degree +\-) water and that seems to be plenty of time - figure the main thing to consider after soaking seeds is how much water is in your starting mix (If you squeeze a small handful and more than one drop comes out it is too wet) -- If you soak the seeds they will absorb all of the water that is needed to get them growing so be sure not to have your seed starting mix more than damp -- the seed will have all the water it needs to start already absorbed so adding more water can make them rot so you need to adjust the amount of moisture in the soil if you do soak the seeds - then just lightly mist the pots every couple days as needed

Back