• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Starting a Larger Variety of Peppers so I Can Try Some But how small can the pots be airpots?

I have grown a single sweet pepper on a plant in a 16oz party cup, so I know certain types you can grow them fairly large in a small space.

I will start them all in party cups again, but I have about 12-13 varieties I have the room inside to pot up eventually but how small of a pot
would you recommend to get them thriving enough to get a few peppers at least off each.

I can get some seeds stock off them this way at least and then pick my favorites and grow that variety out.

Are Airpots worth it? the concept of air-pruning sounds good, and like it would work right.

Airpots definitely make a difference. I would go with 3 gallon as a minimum. I have some doing well in the #3 airpots,, the smart pots work well too.

I'm a first time grower, but I'll mention root pouches. They are supposed to do air-pruning just like the airpots and smartpots, but are much cheaper. I bought mine from the greenhouse megastore. For 25 1 pint, 25 1 gallon, and 10 5 gallon root pouches the average cost per container (after shipping costs) was 83 cents.

i wouldn't put all your eggs in 1 basket or should i say air-basket.

The new pot technologies are neat but it will only be a matter of time before all the posts start pouring in:
"why are my plants not growing, why are my leaves yellow.....etc".

the pot supports are just a support for your plant, the real key to success is, "is your plant using everything necessary to grow". is the plant getting enough sun(proper light), are there the proper microbes, fungi, bacteria feeding off enough convertable organic material in the soil, am i overwatering. all the traditional soil growing in solid container questions still are valid in root prune pot technology.

i moved a solid container soil plant(butchT), it was in a 1 quart yogurt container, which seemed to have growth stall, over to a similar root pot a few weeks ago and i have not noticed any new growth. the plant looks the same as it did a few weeks ago. when i moved the plant over the roots didn't look like super roots and had plenty of room to grow. since, i have added ground alfalfa, ground dried banana, ground eggshell, coffee grounds and seaweed tea(with seaweed chunks) to the soil. hopefully, there are enough microbes from the seaweed tea to activate new root feeding. the plant is in a south facing window and gets periodic sun/shade cycle(due to tree blockage), so photosynthesis must be taking place. i am giving the plant 3 weeks to show some new growth before i try another counter measure step.

i have a rogue cayenne plant in the 1 quart contain that is a foot tall.

i did the same as you for 2011, planted 2 of every seed type of all my plants, the butchT's hate my environment, whether in soil or hydro, they are just small. i think it is lack of humidity but other 7 pods and scorpians don't seem affected. i am pulling out a portable humidifier today to see if that will affect growth.

keep on experimenting.

Back