• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Starting seeds mid-summer for indoor containers?

Hello all.  This is my first year growing hot peppers, and my first day as a member.  I did a few searches on when to plant, off season growing, growing indoors, etc.  Didn't find an answer to my question.  So here goes... I just ordered some seeds from pepper joe and they came in yesterday.  I was wondering if it would be possible to start a few of them now, and hopefully grow them indoors over the winter.

If it makes any difference, I'm in Southwest Georgia.  Zone 8, I believe.  Far enough south that it will be 80+ degrees for at least another 2 months, and will probably stay warm outside on into November/December.  And being the cheapskate that I am... I rarely run the a/c.  We keep the thermostat on 78.  I have a few windows that get lots of sun during the day.  I also have a small makeshift greenhouse on the front porch (built out of pallet wood and clear 4mil plastic sheeting).

So what do you think?  Plant now and have some indoor pepper plants?  Plant now and grow them outside for as long as the weather allows.  Then bring them inside in the fall?  Or grow some patience and hold onto my seeds until Spring?

I never have problems keeping the plants alive outside. You're near me. Just bring them in when there are frosts, cause that will kill them. I don't think it is too late to start. Go ahead and grow outside if you want to.

I got a late start to and I'm still germinating seeds! Gonna grow outdoors and in and just before I take my grow indoors I will treat all the plants for pests

Don't know about mega... but I typically use neem oil on the plants and diatomaceous earth (DE) on the soil surface.  I have a minimal but growing interest in organic gardening, and both of these are supposedly safe non-chemical pest control alternatives. 

Only downside is... you don't want to use neem oil immediately before bringing them inside.  That stuff smells like garlic and arm pits.  Its best to spray 2-3 days before bringing them inside.

I too started a tray of seeds late this year.... just on the 7th actually. And I'm way up in the U.P. of Michigan. I will do what I can with them outside and then bring them in for the winter.

I did he same the other day. I acquired over 20 varieties of seed. Tossed a few giant choco habs, bhut Indian carbon and scotch bonnets into the germ tray. I am a first year grower as well. I consider this an experiment since I have so many seeds. If they don't all make it at least I will learn something in the process. I am consider keeping them indoors until next spring which means I have to research some bulbs to replace the CFLs I used to start this season.

I found a wild tepin down in Galveston about 3 weeks ago and I just went ahead and threw some seeds in a cup with a little soil (otherwise I knew I would just eat them all, no self control!). Last week I got my first hooks. So yeah, it's never a bad time to start seeds.

I am going to start some Tepins to give to my dad. He used to live in Texas when I am born and likes to have anything Texas related. Very sentimental.

I know if I give him the seeds he might not get around to starting them. (Getting older and not doing much in the yard anymore).

If I start the plants he will take care of them. I hear they grow like crazy so it will be perfect.

I live in Mississippi and i'm still germing seeds. We usually don't get any cold weather to hurt plants until around the middle of november. I always spray my plants with a insect soap when they come in to get rid of bugs.

Thanks for all the responses!  Based on everyone's advice, I started a variety of seeds tonight.  Cayenne, Takanotsume, Mulato Isleno, Butch T's, Naga Vipers and Bhut Jolokias.  I also cut some seeds out of one of my orange habs and set them out to dry.  With any luck, I'll end up with a few pepper plants to play with during the late-summer and fall/winter.  I'll start the rest of my seeds in the spring.

I got 2 seeds (reaper) in a ziplock bag with a wet paper towel. Leave them outside in the sun, bring them into the garage at night where it stays in the mid to upper 70's.. Also bringin my plants in.. all a sudden its startn to get to the high 50s at night...  sucks was in the 80's at 1am last week.. wow how afew days change things around here..   At least its in the mid 80 during the day and the humidity omg 90% every damn day for over a  month now and dew points in the mid 70's..  but peppers are looking good and are hard as a rock.

Anyways back on topic..  i leave my ziplock bag in the sun during the day it gets quite warm and the bag is inflated now and dripping with water.

I'm planning to germinate soon too.. here in phoenix it should be cooling off enough to get some  pods before it gets cold ( mid 40's ) in dec and jan. Im going to do a bonichi with two of my plants. we will see how that works out.

I'm doing quite a few in a couple of Aerogardens, and transplanting in a 5 gallon bucket (hydro) later on. That's gona be my winter attempt ;).

, Walter

I've started a few within the month. I recently received 8-9 varieties and thinking of starting them as well. Wish u luck my friend on the growing! Cheers

dmoore714 said:
Thanks for all the responses!  Based on everyone's advice, I started a variety of seeds tonight.  Cayenne, Takanotsume, Mulato Isleno, Butch T's, Naga Vipers and Bhut Jolokias.  I also cut some seeds out of one of my orange habs and set them out to dry.  With any luck, I'll end up with a few pepper plants to play with during the late-summer and fall/winter.  I'll start the rest of my seeds in the spring.

Not a grow log... but excited enough to share.  I started these on 7/23.  As of this morning the mulato islenos, takanotsumes, vipers, and 1 scorpion have broken the surface.  No signs of life from the ghost peppers or cayennes yet.  I'm still having some trouble with mold on my jiffy pots, but the peppers seem to be growing fine regardless.  If I can keep these little guys healthy long enough I have some smart pots coming from amazon.  And I might try to build a hydroponic planter and start a few more next month.

The same as many of you, I`m just starting a new set of seeds. I can normally over-winter most peppers by leaving them out on the driveway, totally neglected. I haven`t seen frost here ever and all I have to worry about is which varieties to over-winter, as i can`t do them all. This year I have seeds from some very interesting varieties and I want to get a head-start on them for next spring. Hence, I`m starting seeds now. 

Back