• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Starting seeds question

I just got some white bhut jolokia seeds. I was wondering if I could just put them in a pot of soil and let it sit outside? Or will it fry the seed or seedling when it spouts. It will be in direct sunlight

yeah like mega said sow them in the shade... you wont get pods by the end of the season though so maybe you might want to wait to start them..

Hey David. The further south in Louisiana you live, the more certain you can be that YOU WILL GET PODS this season. Gnslngr, from New Iberia, just recently informed me that down here at this latitude in the state, we can over-winter, and expect the survival of around 80%-90% of our plants!

I just asked the same 'seed-starting" question to a couple of experts here, "Prehensile" and "Romy6". Both of these very knowledgeable pepper experts start their seeds outdoors. They are both from Florida. The consensus is, start your plants in the shade. The plastic dome that comes with the seed-starting kits is not really needed but it can help your set-up from drying out.

Prehensile takes the dome off when the plants reach 3-inches. He then waits for the third set of true-leaves to sprout before he starts gradually exposing them to morning sunlight a couple of hours at a time. Increase their time in the sun gradually.

Romy6 never uses the dome and starts exposing his plants to sunlight at the 6-inch mark.

Both of these guys grow monstrous plants with massive amounts of pods.

In the last 2 days, I just put about 70 seeds in starter trays. Outdoors.

Go ahead and start your seed. Even if the plants that take the longest to pod-up, don't give you fully ripe pods this season, if you over-winter them outdoors, you will have a MAJOR HEADSTART for next year!

I started mine right out on the porch, from the very beginning. They were planted on the porch and stayed on the porch, most times in direct sun.

They are now very tall and bushy. Don't overwater and don't let them dry out. It is a balance thing. If you are like me and check on them a few times a day every single day, you will be fine.

i start them in about an inch or 2deep of soil  they say keep out of direct light because it will dry the dirt out  but keep it watered just right and it will pop in a week or 2  my ghosts just popped up this week planning on getting pods this year

Back