• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Starting seeds via sunlight

I have some seeds that have germinated in paper towels. Other than a crappy little desk lamp I do not have indoor lighting. I know the sun will bake them this time of year if I put them in direct sun, but what if I put them out in full shade under my tomato or pepper plants? Or, could I harden them immediately if I put them out in the sun slowly?

Also, how long after they sprout in a paper towel should I aim to transplant them?

Thanks
-Phil

Yes you can, I plant one seeds of C.Tovarii very late in pot where I allready growing anothet plant but under the tree in shade & I just saw that little seedling just comming alive. :)

Awesome, the garden is in a patio area with a lot of light reflection going on so hopefully that can sustain them until they grow up a bit and I can harden them.

P.S. Thank you Jamie for the seeds! 100% germination within 48 hours.

Also, how long after they sprout in a paper towel should I aim to transplant them?

I always go into pots as soon as they show hooks. I'm new to peppers but this has worked for probably 75 or more other types of plants and trees. Once you see hooks it's game-on.

If you start them in the direct sun they will be fine. I do it here in South Texas, the ones I start in direct sun seem to do better when I plant them in the ground.

Phil. I have the best germination rates ever starting them outside in the shade from june to august. Just make sure the soil stays good and moist util they bust out! They can even get some good sun to speed up the process. :beer:

Awesome I am glad I do not have to mess with indoor lighting. Eric, they are some datil and fatalii seeds that I want to overwinter for next year, maybe if I am lucky I can get a few pods before the end of this season.

Jamie, I only worried about germinating them outside because it is like 100F, I didn't know if I would cook them in that kind of heat, even in the shade. Sounds like as long as the sun is their first source of light I will not have to worry too much about hardening them.

Thanks!
Phil

Yepper. I just had my first douglah pop up this morning. About 7 days to sprout. It has been like 107 with the heat index here! Once they pop I move them in shade for a lil while.

Back