• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Starting seeds

Hi guys/gals :)

I have been reading it is best to start seeds in "seed starting"mix. As of now I have been using jiffy peat pellets with good success. My problem is I recently went back to work and the pellets are drying out too fast while I am away. Is there any reason WHY I can't use regular potting soil in cups to start seeds?

Everything I seem to read says to use seed starting mix because it does not have plant food in it. Someone enlighten me please! :))

I have a whole bunch of super hots in pellets now, including Brain Strain & Butch T. Since they dried out completely in between watering should I assume they are no good now? I have some Morouga Yellow & Orange in this batch that HAVE germinated, but this is before I found them completely dry.

Thanks!!
Melissa ;)

well, i too am pretty new to starting seeds. i have tried the paper towel in ziplock, jello shot containers with paper towels, that did not work for "me" but what i have had lots of luck with is using sunshine growers mix in solo cups i had 9/10 seeds sprout. but i have also had a little luck with soil mix in jello shot container on a heating mat too. not as good but i have had maybe 50% success that way. as far as drying out i am not sure as i kept mine damp enough plus there were lids on them to keep them moist.

Best of luck to you!

Eric

Yeah you can use regular potting soil, but stay away from stuff like Miracle Grow which is loaded with nutrients that will burn your seedlings, and make sure the mix is fine and lightweight. I've used Pro-Mix, both the Ultimate Organic and BX for starting seeds with great results, both are very fine and very low in nutrients.

Thank you for the input!! I use Edna's best Organic potting soil, so I assume this would be fine to start seeds in? All the peppers I have potted UP love it!

Melissa

I've used the jiffy pellets, they work fine but your limited to 1 seed per pot, no easy way to seperate and transplant if 2 shoots appear......Shoot!
I know better, they're only meant for individual plantings, but there are people that place 2 seeds at a time.... ..huh!
I prefer seed flats with inserts, easy to keep track of what's what. Although I also use flats with the drain holes since I like to bottom feed when growing leaf lettuce varieties, and those seeds amongst other like varieties are broadcasted in flats with seed starter mix, no inserts in trays...
When using a starter mix just be careful not to pack it down (like pipe tobacco) keep it moist not soaked......and be patient
good things happen in time............take it from a "Chicago Cubs" ..fan.............still waiting...

After using both jiffys and seed raising mix this year (both on a heat source, under lights) I'm definately going to stick with the latter. Jiffys harden up on the surface a bit unless you only bottom water them, making seeds take a lot longer break through unless you rough up the surface every few days. I had around 9/10 in a much quicker time just using seed raising mix.
That's just what is working for me however, I know heaps of people like using jiffys.

Back