• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds starting seeds??

Hey gang just wondering if it's to late to start my plants from seed as I was unable to start while I was down do to injury. Or is the season to far along to start?
Cheers

oldsalty said:
Hey gang just wondering if it's to late to start my plants from seed as I was unable to start while I was down do to injury. Or is the season to far along to start?
Cheers

I started one tray the last week of February and will be starting another this week or next.  For me, it comes down to managing expectations with the zone 5 (Indiana) growing season and peppers that prefer a warmer climate.  I don't expect monster plants, just a few pods to get me through the winter.  I started a small reaper plant in early June and still managed a handful of ripe pods.  

IMHO it isn't to late with your longer growing season.

A problem that's been posted a few times might be an opportunity for you... some people have had plants start flowering at 4" height. If not corrected, the plants start bearing fruit too soon, stunting the plant.

The cause of this quirk? They were grown in an environment where the night-time temperatures were about as warm as the day-time. If you maintain the young plants at about 75°F, night and day, you should stimulate early flowering. Please note: i don't know if all plants of all varieties will perform in this fashion. Insufficient data.

There's no way you'll get anything like a bumper crop... but you may get at least a sample of some varieties that are new to you.

So far, every thing i've observed suggests that any of these plant that are raised this way should perform normally in their second year, if over-wintered.

I'll make a wild guess here: i think that spider mites might like warm days AND nights, too... spray with plain (warm, not cold) water several times a week as a preventive measure. Wet the undersides of the leaves, too.

hogleg said:
:onfire: Quit lollygaggin n' put some seeds down! At least Annuums   :party:  

Aint you in lower Carolina? you got time.

Very funny love me some stones!!!! Lollygaggin haha haha haha love that!! :)
mikeg said:
A problem that's been posted a few times might be an opportunity for you... some people have had plants start flowering at 4" height. If not corrected, the plants start bearing fruit too soon, stunting the plant.
The cause of this quirk? They were grown in an environment where the night-time temperatures were about as warm as the day-time. If you maintain the young plants at about 75°F, night and day, you should stimulate early flowering. Please note: i don't know if all plants of all varieties will perform in this fashion. Insufficient data.
There's no way you'll get anything like a bumper crop... but you may get at least a sample of some varieties that are new to you.
So far, every thing i've observed suggests that any of these plant that are raised this way should perform normally in their second year, if over-wintered.
I'll make a wild guess here: i think that spider mites might like warm days AND nights, too... spray with plain (warm, not cold) water several times a week as a preventive measure. Wet the undersides of the leaves, too.
Thanks mikeg!! Sound advice much appreciated !! :)
Alynne said:
I just started my third round of Tiny Tobascos. First two didn't take. Wish both of us luck!
Goooodddd luck that's super good luck coming yer way!!!! :) :)
grantmichaels said:
I doubt it's too late ... and you could probably stress the plants into starting early, later, if need be ...
Cool thanks Grant!! Heather says that should be no problem as I stress her out every day
images-27.jpeg

Thanks Salty. Just came home to two totally wilted seedlings, need to adjust watering. Bottom watered them and they seem to be perking up. Hopefully no permanent damage done.

Back