• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Starting Time?

I am planning for next year and building climbing shelves so I can keep light close on 3 shelves stacked. I only want to get around 3 inch plants and need to know a time requirement guess to go from seed planting to around 3 inches high.

Planting:
Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero
White Habanero
Caribbean Red Habanero

A factor you'll have to think about is the rate of growth of chinenses. You listed are all chinenses so, they grow slow. They like to take their time. I got small chinenses still after a little over a month of germinating them.

Maybe a month before? Not sure. Noob grower here also.

I had a grow box but the lights were too high so I thought of a climbing shelf set up. Don't know if they can be bought but I like to build so why not? I just don't feel like transplanting right before I transplant to the garden. The starter trays are 6.98 fl. oz. (206ml) per cell if that helps.

According to other members here the general rule of thumb is that, when the plant looks like it's twice the size of the container then it's time to transplant. I tend to use seedling trays then plastic cups then grow bags. Still contemplating on sticking my plants in the ground.

8 weeks is what I'd do.
My frost date is 4/27 over here in Brooklyn, so I'm expecting to sow mine around mid february so they have all of march and april to grow. I am aware though that that will require one transplant into Solo cups along the way.

I can get about 2 months out of my cheap fluorescent lights but you'll likely need to transplant in that amount of time. Just make sure you can raise and lower the lights to keep them very close to the plant, you don't want them to get leggy. I also like to keep growing temps a little cooler than most which helps keep plant shorter and stalkier

Yeah, I agree with SS. If you only want 3", I would say a month to a month-and-a-half. You wont need to transplant in that time frame.
Hell, Im trying to get them almost ready to flower before I set them outside! lol This year, i didnt get any ripe pods until July-August. Im hoping for June this time. So, my rearend is already growing! lol Yup, Im a loser!

Planted all the browns and a few yellows... already up and showing... reds coming in 2 weeks.

Bought a 400w HPS system instead of playing wth flouros, but thats just me :rofl:

Back