Steak & Guinness PIE!!!!!!!!!

I have made this a few times but this time i thought i'd slow cook the ingredients to get it all a bit softer.

I used (approx)

500gr rump steak thinly sliced
100gr kidney, thinly sliced
4 garden mushrooms, de skinned and sliced
1 carrot, gratted
2 lengths of celery, Thinly sliced
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
hand full of Rosemary
half hand full of lemon Thyme
hand full of sweet marjoram
1 full can of guinness draught
100ml of beef stock

Put it all in the slow cooker and went to work. Got home and the house smelt fantastic, but I was disappointed with the result. It hadn't thickened like I was hoping (but why would it as it was slow cooked - I just wasn't thinking), and all the flavour of the herbs was gone......

The rest of it was great so I ended up draining all the liquid and adding another can of Guinness, 2 tablespoons of flour and more herbs and throwing it in the oven for 45 minutes to thicken up.

After this I set up a pie tin, lined it with puff pastry, added the filling and covered with more puff pastry.

22042009002.jpg

Had half for dinner and half for lunch the next day. Had it with some really creamy mash potato.

22042009003.jpg

Next time I will slow cook the filling with the beef stock or gravy mixture and add the herbs and Guinness when I get home, then still boil it down in the oven, It just makes it all so soft and gives the filling a great texture..

I like this idea... Cook pie filling all day until tender and tasteful, and then enclose in puff pastry!

Will do asap...

Maybe do a Mingus tribute and put some pork shoulder in there

Pork pie! YUMMM!!

Pies that you buy at the bakeries these days suck ass, i remember i was on the way to work one day and bought a pie. S#4t nearly made me hurl.

This however looks superior, what kind of flavour does the guinness impart (and don't say guinness, smartass).

Novacastrian said:
Pies that you buy at the bakeries these days suck ass, i remember i was on the way to work one day and bought a pie. S#4t nearly made me hurl.

This however looks superior, what kind of flavour does the guinness impart (and don't say guinness, smartass).

Okay...I'll say it..Guinness!

Cheers, TB.

Novacastrian said:

um, Guinness...:)...Sorry, had to be done

Well the Guinness darkens and thickens the mixture and when the mixture is boiled down it has a creamy gravyish flavour with a hint of Guinness....I love it, and this meal finds itself on my place once every few months..

Thats awesome, I love a good pie, home made pie is amazing. 10/10 moyboy!

I made beef pie over christmas, on mashed potato and minted mushy peas. Took me two days, was very worth it. Might have to try yours now.

How do you do your pastry?

McGoo said:
Thats awesome, I love a good pie, home made pie is amazing. 10/10 moyboy!

I made beef pie over christmas, on mashed potato and minted mushy peas. Took me two days, was very worth it. Might have to try yours now.

How do you do your pastry?

Yeah, Home made pie is the best.....

I cheated with the pastry...It was standard puff pastry from the supermarket, as I didn't have the time to make my own...

Back