• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stem trouble...

hello everyone, hope y'all are doing good! I had a question. Some of my older and bigger plants I have indoors will be fine and looking good but around the base of them or right above the dirt the stem is smaller and almost looks like it's rotten looking or something, any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Fungal or bacterial look the same (Brown necrosis), snails/slugs can do the same thing.. But I certainly hope you don't have those indoors :) In the worst case it's phytophthora from bad quality (=contaminated) compost.

WaterIng is about once every two weeks, sorry guys meant to take a durn picture of it!! And I hope I don't have snails/slugs in my house too! Haha, but would it be the compost if I planted other plants in the same thing and they are fine?

It can be, it's a parasital oomycete (behaves like a fungus, but actually isn't. The strains of this oomycete are very picky in their host. Phytophthora infestans only thrives on solecanae like Peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, tomatillo though it can survive with other non Woody plants). If you have plant rot on those, burn them. Don't compost.

Had similar, though it never got so far to describe as rotting. If it's similar, it's from watering near the stem coupled with lack of air flow to dry it. Managed to turn it around by clearing soil away from the stem and applications of H202 and other fungicides. Hopefully yours is save-able as well :)

Back