• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....
 
I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....
 
No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...
 
Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...
 
20200227_100047.jpg

 
By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...
 
20200227_101022.jpg

 
That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...
 
If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?
 
I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Off topic, as always......
But I overcooked some eggs for Tonie and decided to make something up.
FgsFY2w.jpg


So I buttered up that toast, slapped on a generous portion of the almost-fully-devoured ChokeCherry preserves/jelly/jam of yours on both pieces, and put the overcooked eggs on that and made a sandwich. The ChokeCherry was the perfect compliment/foil to the egg overage laid on there.

I thought I took a pic, but my camera must've been too slow.
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
Hey Adam, and yeah that jelly, hot or not, just seems to go with ever'thang!
 
This year's batch will be mostly Aji Oro  infused, lookout! And that Nardello is quick on the production. Mine are just starting to pod up, should be picking firsters sometime next month...
 
So as the garden seems to be taking pretty good care of itself I'll do a quick update on the deck-dwellers...
 
The container queen Aji Oro is preparing to flower, a bit sooner than those in the garden, but this one didn't do the shock-stall first...
6-21 Aji Oro.jpg

 
And my XL Brown Rocoto is in full operation, though she's dropping both blossoms and podlets. I'm hoping the recent cooling into a 50/75 degree night/day cycle will curtail the dropsies...
6-21 XL Brown Rocoto.jpg

 
That damned Fatalii sprouted virtually the same day as the XL Brown months ago, yet has determined to stay an adolescent. Lots of blossoms, pretty much all dropping, but if your eyes are really good you might see but one teeny 1/4" long podlet still hanging on....That may be my sole entry in the Growdown...The Limarillo and Big Jim are doing very well...
6-21 Limorillo, Fatalii, Big Jim.jpg

 
Can't post an update without the three overwinter sisters, Costa Rica Red, Aji Largo and Arequipeno, l to r. They came to life after I moved them to a north wall and give them two hours of full sun, morning and evening, per day.
6-21 OW sisters.jpg

 
Aji Amarillo in a big 20 gallon fabric pot, healthy but stunted as ever. If anyone has an idea what might bring them out of this I'd love to hear...
Here it is today, followed by where it was 11 days previous.
6-21 Aji Amarillo.jpg

Aji Amarillo 6-10.jpg

 
And my non-pepper pride, the only cuttings I've ever got to go, my Sobelri Rosemary...
6-21 Sobelri Rosemary.jpg

 
OK, go about your business, I've bothered y'all enough for now....
 
 
 
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
Well then, I won't feel like the lonely little petunia anymore...She might wake up, we'll see. And yes, she was in a small pot for a lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong tme.
 
We decided to let our elephant eared 50+ year old (we were told it was over 40 y/o when we moved in) rhubarb plant go to seed this year.
 
Unless the critters get to it first I should have a few thousand seeds to share, should anyone be interested. It's like asparagus, takes two-three years before first harvest...
 
rhubarbseed2.jpg
 

ahayastani

Extreme Member
stettoman said:
Well then, I won't feel like the lonely little petunia anymore...She might wake up, we'll see. And yes, she was in a small pot for a lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong tme.
 
We decided to let our elephant eared 50+ year old (we were told it was over 40 y/o when we moved in) rhubarb plant go to seed this year.
 
Unless the critters get to it first I should have a few thousand seeds to share, should anyone be interested. It's like asparagus, takes two-three years before first harvest...
 
attachicon.gif
rhubarbseed2.jpg
 
We used to have several rhubarb plants... New plants, however, were always obtained by root division, which in the case of rhubarb is a very easy process. For that reason, rhubarb plants often tend to carry a certain history with them. I received rhizome from my father, who had received rhizome when he got married from a friend of his grandfather, and he still remembered that his grandfather told him that he had brought rhubarb rhizome with him when he settled in the village.
 
The issue with seeds is that rhubarb does not come true to seed, so whatever plants may grow out of them might or might not resemble the parent. 
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
ahayastani said:
 
We used to have several rhubarb plants... New plants, however, were always obtained by root division, which in the case of rhubarb is a very easy process. For that reason, rhubarb plants often tend to carry a certain history with them. I received rhizome from my father, who had received rhizome when he got married from a friend of his grandfather, and he still remembered that his grandfather told him that he had brought rhubarb rhizome with him when he settled in the village.
 
The issue with seeds is that rhubarb does not come true to seed, so whatever plants may grow out of them might or might not resemble the parent. 
 
As with apple seeds. Caveat noted, thanks...
 
Bhuter said:
Oooop......found it, Eric. It IS a Nardello. Still tiny, but goin' in a darn pot tomorrow!
ODzZqDI.jpg


I'm gonna try the roasting thang this season.....if this guy catches up!
I think those 'Nardello's originally came from Tejas ;)
 
A great pepper for stir fry, think Pepper steak, Fajitas, and any other dish where a mild pepper adds flavor.
 
@Stetto: Hope those slackers git it in gear buddy...before it snows again! Try some Epsom salt, it never hurts ;)
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
Tha's right Scott, these be the Texas variety, direct descendants of the "Devine" family. Our resident pesky doe ate the top off one of them last night. I was hoping the static fence wouldn't be needed this year, but alas...

...not to worry, she didn't eat the whole thing, and there be two others out there.....

Oh, and thanks for the epsom tip, I'd totally forgotten....
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
I bin 'lectrified!
20200626_080133.jpg


I also set up the Spypoint Link Evo, we had a couple critters in a screaming match back there night before last, I say cats, Mama said they sounded like birds, big, mean, angry birds like hawks or eagles. I couldn't find them with the tac-light, so the trailcam....
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
PaulG said:
Now all you need is a couple of guard towers.
 
Plants look like they are coming along.
 
Heh heh....My guard tower is the upper level of the deck, Paul! I have a clear view of the entire from there, only missing the Klieg light.
 
But that's ok, I think I can trust the zapwire to deter the pet doe. And we had a major mosquito hatching the other day, right after our first major dragonfly hatching was done. I wish Ma Nature would time these events a little better, but we'll be getting another dragonfly hatch in a few weeks, maybe even a third, depending on the weather....in the meantime it ain't safe out there after dark... :seeya:
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
Hrmm....we're going into a week or more of swelter, highs mid 80s to mid 90s, nights above 70...with oppressive humidity...
 
The plants have at least been given the opportunity to acclimate, and even the Rocotos in full sun aren't displaying stress yet, let us all cross our fingers. 
 
The corn & tomatoes are loving this. I think the Anaheims are heat lovers too...Let's find out!!
 
PaulG said:
I’m having some problems with stunted peppers,
too, Eric. I think I had them in quart-sized containers
too long. Won’t make that mistake again!
 
You guys might try 'tickling' the plant's roots.  Gently dig him out and trim the tips off the outlying roots. This idea is similar to topping or FIMing in that the damage stimulates new growth.  I tried this on one 'stuck' plant this year and he did seem to perk up after a week or two.  (Of course he might have perked up anyway... )
 

stettoman

Extreme Member
Geonerd said:
You guys might try 'tickling' the plant's roots.  Gently dig him out and trim the tips off the outlying roots. This idea is similar to topping or FIMing in that the damage stimulates new growth.  I tried this on one 'stuck' plant this year and he did seem to perk up after a week or two.  (Of course he might have perked up anyway... )
That's not a bad idea Greg, and I will log and note that for the future. The Aji Amarillos are now finally on the move, and the Fatalii has a couple pods on it, so I don't want to disrupt delicate progress...

This heat/humidity is really getting disruptive, I'm not getting the usual upper 50s for lows. I'm going to start CD's tactic of icewater mist at bedtime on my Rocotos. LOTS of blossom drop going on...
 
stettoman said:
That's not a bad idea Greg, and I will log and note that for the future. The Aji Amarillos are now finally on the move, and the Fatalii has a couple pods on it, so I don't want to disrupt delicate progress...

This heat/humidity is really getting disruptive, I'm not getting the usual upper 50s for lows. I'm going to start CD's tactic of icewater mist at bedtime on my Rocotos. LOTS of blossom drop going on...
 
And you already have enough trouble getting those damned Amarillos to ripen before the annual ice age arrives....
 

skullbiker

Extreme Member
stettoman said:
This heat/humidity is really getting disruptive, I'm not getting the usual upper 50s for lows. I'm going to start CD's tactic of icewater mist at bedtime on my Rocotos. LOTS of blossom drop going on...
I do not think that is the problem. All I do is water and feed them. My lows for 6 weeks or more are 72 to 75 degrees, highs low to mid 90s over the same period. I am literally overwhelmed with pods/flowers. [emoji2371].
 
Top