• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stetto's '21, ok ok ok, SEMI-glog glog

I wasn't planning to do a grow log this year, too much going on and little time to devote, but I've had a real good seedling season, so I thought I'd drop in from time to time to glance around and give you guys n gals something to talk about...

SUPER small list this season, but germ rate was outstanding on some varieties, so whaddaya do?

Pubescens
Aji Oro Rocoto (spawn of Aji Oro OW)
Rocoto Rojo (from 2019 harvest)
Turbo Pube (from 2019 harvest)
Hyper-X Rocoto (Canedog)
Awesome Orange Rocoto (Canedog)

Annuum
Chimayo (Harry_Dangler)
Nambe Pueblo (Harry_Dangler)
Hernandez Hot (Harry_Dangler)
Big Jim Legacy (Sandia)
Serrano Tampiqueno (Sandia)
YOLO Bell (Tradewinds Fruit)

Overwinter
XL Brown Rocoto (Canedog)
Aji Oro (Bhuter)
Aji Oro (spawn of Aji Oro from Bhuter)

Tomato
Prairie Star (Harry_Dangler)

There are many of each variety, the germ rate was crazy good. I'm convinced the Frog Farm Ocean Forest soil contributed yugely to that.

The Hernandez Hot was the only one of the Annuums to limit me to one plant, and the Turbo Pube was the only Rocoto to resist germination, though I did get one to hook. It actually sprouted the same week as the others, but was stunted to where I almost pulled it. But today I found true leaves emerging, so...
turbo 1.jpg

For a little scale perspective
turbo 2.jpg

I'm curious how this little guy will turn out and how long it will take to do that turning out, but hey, it's the Turbo I got, right?

I'm super happy with my Aji Oro crop so far, I've had to cut a bunch out and I HATE culling more than just about anything, and yet there are still 2-3 plants currently in each and every pot. This one is a personal triumph. Backstory: I had a total of two helmet heads in this planting, one a Chimayo, the other this Aji Oro. I spent almost two weeks trying to keep them moist so they could figh their own way out, but at some point I lost patience or faith, one, so I mechanically tweezered the cotys loose. The Chimayo was stunted but otherwise a healthy plant, but he Aji Oro had no cotyledons, no bud, just a stump. I figured the plant had been helmeted too long and rotted inside the seed shell. Oh well, right? There are two healthy plants in the potlet anyway, no loss...

I thought that too, until this morning: 
aji oro stump.jpg

The tip started to grow a tiny bulb a couple days ago, I simply let nature persevere, as it is guaranteed to do...

I just don't know how you guys do it, cut out perfectly good though overpopulated exotic pepper plants. I have no problem thinning anything out, carrots, lettuce, bell peppers...But this is hard...

Also note there are no Baccatum or Chinense this season, heck, I already planted more than I should have... 

Hey Paul, that little Aji Oro stublette counts as a duck, no? :cool:

Ok, maybe a turkey or a goose, but it counts....right?

stettoman hope things go well with the house sale and like myself I sold my place in Wales last year and had to do a lot of jobs before hand but was worth the effort.
Best of luck to you and the family on the sale.

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

So, have you ever heard of...
Talas.jpg

They were out of Buffalo NY, but I always thought they were underrated.

Yeah, that's Billy Sheehan
Talas 2.jpg

Thought I'd ask...

Wow, what a season.

We finally got June in August, and actually had good temps until tomorrow morning--First frost. It ususlly happens around the first of September.

So today I'll make my final pull of Big Jims, Chimayos, Nambe Pueblos, Serranos, the Darlin' Bride's bells and, believe it or not, a nice handful of garden Rocoto Rojos!!

Then I till the half-an-eighth acre for the last time and set the machine out front with a for sale sign, along with the garden tractor and a couple of garden trailers.

The house was to go up for sale this coming Monday, but we had to put it off at least a week. The place is a mess!

Still no housing prospects in CO yet, so some THP mojo would be welcome.

Here's to next season!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Good luck on your, move. We've finally resettled permanently after selling our place(30 years) a couple of years ago.
Hope you enjoy Colorado. I've liked everything I've seen in CO, Durango my favorite.

I'm gonna give those Big Jims a whirl next year. I've grown the 6-4. It's been a while and I miss that blister NuMex flavor.
Our local grocer use to set up a mesh barrel and roast on site before the 'demic.

Frost is not even on our radar yet.:crazy:

Like I said, a handfull. Not to worry, there are enough ripening in the grow room/studio to make a good batch.

20211015_140527.jpg

The Serrano patch seems to love a good drought. Four plants, this is the fourth and final harvest, and the largest.
20211015_141437.jpg

I kept the green ones separate for sauce/salsa but I just don't have time, so we'll see. I commandeered my daughters Ninja for grinding, I can do bigger batches a lot quicker...

Last edited:
I still have Turbo Pubes that refuse to go that amber step. They're almost black, trying so hard. The shinyness is the damned honeydew from an aphid insurrection, but we're at the tail end, so let 'em have a last snack...
20211019_143607.jpg

When I get all my 5 gallon bags emptied I'm going to fold them into one, put them into a large stock pot and boil them for 5 or 10 minutes before packing them away. That ought to dispatch any residual eggs and contaminates imbedded in the fabric.

20 gallon bags might need done one at a time...

Like I said there would, I did get a decent batch of Rocoto Rojos, considering this wierd season. There are still half a dozen hangin' on the tree...
16346728689911435489357.jpg

So, what did YOU do on your summer vacation, hmmmm?

Great to see the rocotos coming in for you, Eric.
My rocoto harvest from four plants this season will
be three Tatiana Yellows. I started too late this season.

Good work, buddy, and good luck getting the move
underway in earnest.

Back