• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stevia sweetener.

Anyone used this/ tried to grow it ? etc? Give a damn ?
I just got 100 seeds. Word is, they're a bit finicky to germinate.
I buy some packeted in the yuppee food store made in Colombia( must be good).
Beware of fakes from Coca(iane) Cola, Pepsi(colonoscopies) and other such demonic enteties.
I like the flavor and have tossed the leaves into jugs of sweet tea. NICE.
There is a YogaYuppie up the mountain that grows it.
My turn.

i got a couple plants from a nursery and both died... didnt even get a chance to do anything with them.... i do have some seeds in my aerogarden and 2 have popped... hope they grow!! i do care aboout them... thinking about getting the leaves on them since they are already dry.. ahahhah id like to try your batch...

btw i got my seeds from bakers creek......

Stevia is great. I like to chew on the leaves or to put in with tea too. I also buy the granules that I use in place of sugar.

i've grown it for several years... seed is a bit finicky to germinate but one plant will generate a whole lot of seed so i just oversow the dickens out of it to compensate. once it germinates i have had no problems growing it- very cold sensitive but fine other than that.

i usually steep it in hot water and then reduce it into a (sort of) syrup which i then add to tea/coffee/etc...

Can i still harvest these leaves?!!
829F65BE-4DAE-4EC8-B095-58E1B3D2CEC0-33478-00000B30EB2FC7E2.jpg

If they are green but dried I don't see why not, the brown ones I normally discard.
I like Stevia in tea but not in coffee it changes the flavor too much(it kinda has a green taste to it)

mine is in my dehydrator, one plant was about 2 feet in height, till i harvested it. the other plant is about 10 inches in height and i just potted up this morning.

i am going to grind the dried leaves in the spice grinder, then decide where to go from there. ie. make liquid stevia.

i did put a fresh leaf in a bottle my homemade red wine to lightly sweeten it up but i am not sure if that was the right approach - i am still in experimental stage with this plant.

Anyone used this/ tried to grow it ? etc? Give a damn ?
I just got 100 seeds. Word is, they're a bit finicky to germinate.
I buy some packeted in the yuppee food store made in Colombia( must be good).
Beware of fakes from Coca(iane) Cola, Pepsi(colonoscopies) and other such demonic enteties.
I like the flavor and have tossed the leaves into jugs of sweet tea. NICE.
There is a YogaYuppie up the mountain that grows it.
My turn.

i am growing it... two strains.. a good sweet non bitter/planty strain and a nastier one.. i am cloning the sweet one and gonna grow alot of it nextyear and indoors this winter... i hear the seeds produce plantys with rndom levels of sweetness... i am using cuttings to propagate mine. i went from 4 plants to one cuz they died when i got them but now i have 2 thriving ones.. small but thriving.. gonna transplant and tke more cuttingss soon.

do any of you guys use it to sweeten anything other than hot beverages? I was wondering about growing it to use in a bbq rub, or other meat related activities.

I bought a packet of seeds from our local supplier but not a single one germinated.

I was advised to try seedlings but no-one here does them sadly...

Hope you guys have better luck!

do any of you guys use it to sweeten anything other than hot beverages? I was wondering about growing it to use in a bbq rub, or other meat related activities.

It'll work for anything but baking or caramelizing.GF tosses a bunch in her BBQ sauce after I get done with my......pepper"treatment".
I had some sweet and sour pork that had it used in it.
I just got another packet of seeds from MySeedsCo
I'll get them started at sunup

i am growing it... two strains.. a good sweet non bitter/planty strain and a nastier one.. i am cloning the sweet one and gonna grow alot of it nextyear and indoors this winter... i hear the seeds produce plantys with rndom levels of sweetness... i am using cuttings to propagate mine. i went from 4 plants to one cuz they died when i got them but now i have 2 thriving ones.. small but thriving.. gonna transplant and tke more cuttingss soon.

they do clone well.

Back