• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

stickman said:
The Aji Oro is covered in buds that should open any day now.
attachicon.gif
SANY2112.JPG

that Aji's been going for about 80 days if my calculations are correct, and looking mighty good for it! Very fast growth, its gonna be a bumper harvest this year! 
All the best!  :party:

stickman said:

Hi Jay, and welcome to the zoo! Cheers for the good vibe. :)

The Forbing Nagas came from a collaboration between a couple of THP members, one of whom lives just up the state from you near Shreveport. He sent me some f2 pods last year and my plants come from those seeds. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52593-windchicken-2015/page-18#entry1232024

Cheers Simmie! How's the weather up in Yorkshire? Still too cold to plant out?
Hi Rick Dennish is in Yorkshire I'm on the east coast probably the furthest point away from you as you look at the UK.

Plants go out in the poly tunnel in the sunny humid poly tunnel all day but still to cold at nights for plant out.
Won't be long.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
Hi Rick Dennish is in Yorkshire I'm on the east coast probably the furthest point away from you as you look at the UK.

Plants go out in the poly tunnel in the sunny humid poly tunnel all day but still to cold at nights for plant out.
Won't be long.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Sorry... sometimes it's hard to tell the players without a scorecard... ;)  Are you in Kent or East Anglia? I've been to the UK a couple of times, but not in your area. On my first visit, I stayed with friends in Herts. and attended the fireworks display in Hyde Park the night before Charles Windsor and Diana Spencer were married, then spent a week travelling around Cornwall with a Venture Scout troop.  The following summer I linked up with 4 of the Venture Scouts from the previous year to hike the length of the West Highland Way in mid-June.

Yeah, it's still too cold to leave my chiles out overnight... even if it's under a low row cover, and it's too much work to schlep them around. As you say

Devv said:
Next year I bite the bullet and do the soil test. It's about time, it's no longer sand ;)  Re-mineralize, what does that entail?

By heavy soil, I mean the really nice top soil, not clay. But the sort of soil that gets sticky when it gets wet and you walk on it, you know you get taller ;) My primary garden area is 40x40 and I'll bet I've tilled in over 100 yards of leaves, mulch, and compost over the last 6 years. It just goes away. But, I'll say this, when I plant the cover crop it comes in a nice dark green. I have about 30 gallons of char to grind up. And will cut down some dead wood to make more..

Keep building that soil! Your results show it ;)
lots of horse poo ! ,     :party:

moruga welder said:
did you get a chance to look up that book RUTH STOUTS no till garden ?

I did Frank, thanks for the tip. :)  I took out a copy from the local library this past winter. It looks really useful, but my circumstances this year are a little unusual in that after I got the results of my soil test back I found that my Calcium, Phosphate, Magnesium and Potassium are all high... and Sodium is very high. Apparently I'm flirting with Sodium toxicity that probably has more than one source. I'll have to check into our municipal water test results to see if some of it came from there. Our garden is in a sunken area adjacent to a road that runs along the top of a bluff that gets exposed to the northwest wind. The road gets plenty of salt in the winter, and maybe some of my elevated Sodium levels are due to runoff.  Anyhow, I was advised to avoid adding any more mulch from outside sources, for this season at least, to let my plants remove the excess from the soil. For that reason I think I'll just be using plastic mulch for the peppers and eggplants and experimenting with undersowing Dutch White Clover as "green mulch"  for the tomatoes and other tall vegetables. The clover is a perennial, but I'm assured that if I put a thick cardboard kill-mulch on top of it after cutting down the remains of the main crop, then by spring the Clover will have smothered and the ground can be planted as normal. I like the idea since the clover will scavenge nutrients in the top six inches of soil and hold them in place so they can't be leached away in my sandy soil, it'll shade out weeds and add Nitrogen to the soil in the following season.

Hi folks! It's another cool, cloudy Spring day in New England. Looking at the long-range weather forecast, it looks like it'll stay cool through the weekend and the early part of next week, but by Wednesday the overnight low temperatures should stay in the 40s and that'll be the time I set up my low row cover out back and begin to harden my babies off. None of them are a foot tall yet, but all are lush and healthy like this Forbing Naga.
SANY2135.JPG
SANY2136.JPG

The Aji Oro is looking purty with all those blossoms!
SANY2130.JPG

Hang in there folks... Friday's coming!

Those leaves are looking incredible! Very happy plants!

With your soil salinity, do you often get winds from the ocean direction? Or any salt lakes or the like? Weather from that direction could possibly bring with it some saltiness for your soil... But there's plenty of ways to deal with it, so you shouldn't have Tok much of a problem. :) Good luck.

Datil said:
Looking great Rick!

karoo said:
Good looking plants .
Love the Aji oro

Thanks guys! :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Those plants are ready for some sunshine. Some big leaves on some of them. Good luck with the row covers. I'm going to wait a little while. My temps are in the 40's at night, but the plants need to get a little bigger inside before I put them in the hoophouse.

You know your conditions best Chuck, we're hoping for the best for you this season! :cheers:

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Those leaves are looking incredible! Very happy plants!

With your soil salinity, do you often get winds from the ocean direction? Or any salt lakes or the like? Weather from that direction could possibly bring with it some saltiness for your soil... But there's plenty of ways to deal with it, so you shouldn't have Tok much of a problem. :) Good luck.

We're almost 190km from the mouth of the Connecticut River.. I don't think it's windblown salt from ocean spray Nev. More likely to be from US-90, which is only a quarter of a mile away.

Plants are looking stellar Rick!

Interesting that the salt could be from the runoff, but it does make sense.
I started cutting the tines for my broadfork yesterday and the Oxygen regulator failed while cutting the third one. It popped and really scared the crap out of me, I quickly shut the valves. A diaphragm failed, parts are on the way.

Devv said:
Plants are looking stellar Rick!

Interesting that the salt could be from the runoff, but it does make sense.
I started cutting the tines for my broadfork yesterday and the Oxygen regulator failed while cutting the third one. It popped and really scared the crap out of me, I quickly shut the valves. A diaphragm failed, parts are on the way.

I've been thinking, and I wonder if some of the Sodium buildup could be from the municipal water supply after all... The cheapest way to Chlorinate drinking water is to set up a bleach drip, and bleach is Sodium Hypochlorate. The Chlorine could go into the atmosphere, but the Sodium doesn't have that option.

Glad to hear your industrial accident was a minor one with no injuries or property damage. Any one you can walk away from, hey. :)

I hope you're taking pics of your broadfork-making project. I'm sure other folks would be interested.

Hi Folks, been super busy today getting things lined up for plant-out. I expanded the 3'x3' herb bed to 6'x4' and backfilled with compost. Just beginning to come up after over-wintering are sage, mint, thyme and Greek oregano. I transplanted 6 Parsley plants and will plant another 3.
SANY2139.JPG

Hauled our rain barrel out of storage in the cellar and set it up where it'll catch the most rain running off our south-facing roof.
SANY2140.JPG

Dug out the existing valve box and a little more space for another to accomodate a brass water meter, another valve and a 3/4 inch hose connector.
SANY2143.JPG
SANY2142.JPG

Lacinato Kale I transplanted last week is looking happy to be in the ground
SANY2144.JPG

All the garlic is up now, and looking extremely happy except for this one that got chewed down almost to a nub by the biggest, fattest cutworm I've ever seen. Needless to say he's currently at that big salad bar in the sky...
SANY2145.JPG

Our old-fashioned Bleeding Heart plant that I look to for my cue to begin hardening off is reaching for the sky! Tuesday night is supposed to get down to 35 degrees, so I'll hold off 'til after that, but the long range forecast says overnight temps at least in the 40s for the next 10 days after that so I'll set up the low row cover after work on Tuesday and put the babies out to begin hardening off on Wednesday morning.
SANY2141.JPG

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Back