• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Hi Folks! It looks like I made the right decision to cut my grow back a bit this year. I've got just enough space to carry me to this date, but if I keep the plants inside much longer they're gonna outgrow it. Here's a few pics of some of my Chinense varieties.

The Piment Cabri is only 6 inches tall but it's easily the widest of the Chinense plants. It's the only one that hasn't started blossoming yet. It's a wild-collected variety... I'm wondering if I should plant it in a pot during the growing season to keep it apart from the others and stop feeding it Nitrogen. :think:
SANY2180.JPG

The others are at least 8 inches tall and at least beginning to put out blossoms
SANY2181.JPG
SANY2182.JPG
SANY2183.JPG

SANY2184.JPG
SANY2185.JPG
SANY2186.JPG

Some of the larger leaves on the plants. Randy's Cross
SANY2187.JPG

Randy's Douglah
SANY2188.JPG

Aji Oro is continuing to set pods. I give the flowers a finger-flick whenever I think of it, and that seems to take care of pollination.
SANY2172.JPG

That's all for now. Have a great day all!

Wow Rick you plants look great! I've been slacking at reading glogs due to the connection being really slow but it looks like it's finally fixed. Looking forward to following along.  Cheers

Bossing it Rick, plants are looking stellar my friend, and glad your flowering /podding up on some, really looking forward to seeing these nice healthy plants hitting dirt.
Your on top buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Devv said:
Plants continue to impress Rick ;)

Dirt day is fast approaching :party:

S'right brother... I finally got my plants outside under the low row cover to begin hardening off! Dirt-day is next weekend. :dance:

FreeportBum said:
Wow Rick you plants look great! I've been slacking at reading glogs due to the connection being really slow but it looks like it's finally fixed. Looking forward to following along.  Cheers

Cheers D! Glad you got your bandwidth dialed in, and hope to see what you're growing this year. :)

Superhot Sim said:
Bossing it Rick, plants are looking stellar my friend, and glad your flowering /podding up on some, really looking forward to seeing these nice healthy plants hitting dirt.
Your on top buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

It can't be any too soon to suit me Simmie... The plants too! Got my first Chinense blossom on the Yellow CARDI Scorpion. :)
SANY2206.JPG

Today's been a busy day for sure... Got the valve boxes and the contents therein sorted out in the community garden.
SANY2213.JPG

One box has the shutoff valve and the water meter.
SANY2214.JPG

The other has the hose timer and hose connection.
SANY2215.JPG

We got a letter from the town board of health telling us that there have been complaints from the people in the apartments on the other side of our backyard fence that there are Rats living in our open composters made from old wooden pallets, and they wanted us to get an enclosed composter set up at least 10 feet away from the fence.  Got that done also.
SANY2210.JPG

Also finally got the low row cover set up and the plants underneath.
SANY2212.JPG
SANY2211.JPG

A few pics from the vegetable garden...

Salsify
SANY2216.JPG

Garlic
SANY2218.JPG

Lacinato Kale
SANY2219.JPG

Hope you all are having a productive weekend. Cheers!

Plants outside woot! :woohoo:

You know I had critters hitting our compost bin; I had some leftover mesh that's used for stucco that works really well. They were eating most everything we chunked in there from the kitchen.

My brother in Ohio heavily mulches his Garlic too. Will it freeze if you don't do that?

Carry on bud!

Devv said:
Plants outside woot! :woohoo:

You know I had critters hitting our compost bin; I had some leftover mesh that's used for stucco that works really well. They were eating most everything we chunked in there from the kitchen.

My brother in Ohio heavily mulches his Garlic too. Will it freeze if you don't do that?

Carry on bud!

Yeah, that sheet metal lath is handy stuff. I used it in the heat collector of my solar dehydrator. I think we may have Scotched the local rats... haven't seen any since we moved all our compost to the Earth Machine.

Heavily mulching the Garlic is to conserve water and suppress weeds. Looking good so far!

OCD Chilehead said:
You've been busy my friend. Row cover is doing its job. I like the composter. I have that same timer. I love the meter.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Chuck! I'm really liking how things are coming out!

tsurrie said:
Great work man, that garden looks nice. Now it will be time for the peppers soon, right? Those peppers look like monsters compared to what I've got. Gotta start thinking of narrowing down, a bit larger pots and some better nutes.

I'd be happy to start getting pods now Uros, and the Aji Oro is starting to supply them, but the Chinense varieties are likely to drop their flowers until it warms up a bit more here overnight. The daily low temperatures are gonna mostly be in the 40s with the occasional dip into the upper 30s for the next few weeks. They'll need to stay in the 60s consistently for optimum fruit set.   http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene9c8a.html

Fortunately, the Pubiscens varieties seem to be less fussy. :)

Do you have access to liquid nutes for hydroponic growing where you are Uros? I've been having excellent results with General Hydroponics organic series.

Cheers!

randyp said:
Looks good Rick.I would chance a low row setup, but with my hours I would come from work and all would be fried 
It gets pretty hot here on sunny days too. I open up the ends of the row cover before I leave for work to let out excess heat and close it up again an hour before sundown if I can. That way I trap some of the warmth before it really starts to cool off for the night. If I can't do it then, I close it up as soon as I get home.

stickman said:

I'd be happy to start getting pods now Uros, and the Aji Oro is starting to supply them, but the Chinense varieties are likely to drop their flowers until it warms up a bit more here overnight. The daily low temperatures are gonna mostly be in the 40s with the occasional dip into the upper 30s for the next few weeks. They'll need to stay in the 60s consistently for optimum fruit set.   http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene9c8a.html

Fortunately, the Pubiscens varieties seem to be less fussy. :)

Do you have access to liquid nutes for hydroponic growing where you are Uros? I've been having excellent results with General Hydroponics organic series.

Cheers!

You will soon have the temperatures they need, I bet the weather will change for the better. General Hydroponics you say? I bet I can get a hold of something similar if not the exact product. I can see I can get a lot even online, FloraMicro series seems like it could work, what do you say?

Will also check the other stores asap. Thanks for the info Rick!

tsurrie said:

You will soon have the temperatures they need, I bet the weather will change for the better. General Hydroponics you say? I bet I can get a hold of something similar if not the exact product. I can see I can get a lot even online, FloraMicro series seems like it could work, what do you say?

Will also check the other stores asap. Thanks for the info Rick!

The FloraMicro series should work for you Uros. I went with the General Organics series because I wanted to give a boost to the soil-dwelling microbes, and it's supposed to be formulated for just that. I certainly can't argue with the results. :)  https://www.monstergardens.com/charts/general_organics_feeding_chart/general_organics_feedchart.pdf
I also made a few substitutions to use up some similar products I already had on hand in the same amounts... I used Neptune Harvest fish emulsion instead of General Organics BioMarine and substituted General Hydroponics RapidStart for General Organics BioRoot. I also substituted Fox Farms Tiger Bloom for General Organics BioBud. I absolutely included the optional Black Diamond Humates and added the General Hydroponics ArmorSi which is a solution of Potassium Silicate. The Silicate was supposed to make the plants stronger when they include it in the cell walls and more resistant to disease and insect infestation when they use it to make a waxy cuticle on their outside surfaces. We'll see about those claims when the plants go into the ground, but it does seem to be working as advertised.

Trident chilli said:
Time is closing in Rick for your scheduled plant out ... great to see the plants hardening off and to have pods too ... hope to plant out myself in the next couple of weeks

Cheers John! Hopefully things go smoothly for you when you put your babies outside. I think we're all straining at the leash... ;)

stickman said:

The FloraMicro series should work for you Uros. I went with the General Organics series because I wanted to give a boost to the soil-dwelling microbes, and it's supposed to be formulated for just that. I certainly can't argue with the results. :)  https://www.monstergardens.com/charts/general_organics_feeding_chart/general_organics_feedchart.pdf
I also made a few substitutions to use up some similar products I already had on hand in the same amounts... I used Neptune Harvest fish emulsion instead of General Organics BioMarine and substituted General Hydroponics RapidStart for General Organics BioRoot. I also substituted Fox Farms Tiger Bloom for General Organics BioBud. I absolutely included the optional Black Diamond Humates and added the General Hydroponics ArmorSi which is a solution of Potassium Silicate. The Silicate was supposed to make the plants stronger when they include it in the cell walls and more resistant to disease and insect infestation when they use it to make a waxy cuticle on their outside surfaces. We'll see about those claims when the plants go into the ground, but it does seem to be working as advertised.

Damn that's a lot of products but you seem to have it figured out. Will check them all and then decide. What about Chili Focus, have you used that one anytime ?

Datil said:
All looking lush mate!
Is the Piment Cabri from my seeds?? I forgot what i've sent you :D
Plant out is around the corner!

S'right brother! Just gotta get past a little predicted cold spell tomorrow night and they're going into the ground! I'll hedge my bets by keeping them under the low row cover until we get overnight low temperatures in the 50s... Then the gloves come off. :)

Datil said:
Is the Piment Cabri from my seeds?? I forgot what i've sent you :D

Sorry Fabrizio, I thought I'd answered this before... No, I got the seeds for the Piment Cabri from Kevin in France (Baekseju). He got the seeds from his in-laws who live on Reunion Island off the coast of Madagascar. Apparently they grow wild there. 

In other news... I checked my veggie garden after work today and see that the Beets, Radishes and Russian Salsify are all germinating. :)

Back