Still too small for one gallon pots?

As long as you're careful, I don't see why it would matter.  I am surprised that the roots are already growing out the bottom, given the small size of the plants.

Put them in. Just be very careful, and only water a little bit around where the plants themselves are until they get bigger. You don't want them to get damping.

I'm not sure what the size of the plant has to do with transplanting into larger pot? when the plant fills the container with roots, then it is time to transplant. You could actually take your seedling out of the seed tray and put it directly to a one gallon pot or larger, the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't would be the amount of nutes you would be wasting in a larger pot. The + would be that you wouldn't have to water as often. 

If you have the space I say pot them up and don't worry about hurting them. When i transplant I show no mercy.

The roots may have reached the bottom of the pot, but I doubt that they are root bound at this point. They are simply too small to have a fully developed root system that could fill the cups. When potting up you generally want to choose a pot that's double the size of the current pot. Once it out grows that pot, pot it up again. Jumping to too large a pot too soon often leads to decent growth of everything above the soil and an under developed root system.

Pop one of them out and check the rootball and go from there.

Neil

You can.

The biggest problem will be not over watering until they start to fill the bigger pot.

You also could just pop them out and check the roots. Youre going to have to be careful because they are so small and because theyre so low in the cups. If they arent circling a lot they really dont need up canned.

FYI - They way I check smaller plants is to make a live long and prosper hand and I put the stem between the middle and ring finger and then close my hand. Then I can turn the cup upside down right into my palm. Your plants are so low youre going to have to get them part way out first.

thepodpiper said:
I'm not sure what the size of the plant has to do with transplanting into larger pot? when the plant fills the container with roots, then it is time to transplant.

Experienced growers can usually tell by the size of various plants whether or not theyre rootbound. Or by how fast they use water. Or by how they stop growing and start stressing. Or by...popping them out and checking.

Theres more than one way to pick a peck of pickled peppers.
Blister said:
 Jumping to too large a pot too soon often leads to decent growth of everything above the soil and an under developed root system.

Ya, people dont want to over water so all they do is dump a cup of water right into the little rootball instead of further out and letting the plant go get it.

mx5inpa said:

FYI - They way I check smaller plants is to make a live long and prosper hand and I put the stem between the middle and ring finger and then close my hand. Then I can turn the cup upside down right into my palm. Your plants are so low youre going to have to get them part way out first.
Yep that's how I do it too.

I sell all my plants in 4" pots so they go right from seed tray to those. The ones I grow in my garden stay in 4" pots until plant out,  and the ones i grow in large pots go into those straight from the seedling tray. Because I grow such a large number of plants it's just more convenient to eliminate as much potting up as I can. So to go back to the original Q. It is never 2 early to pot up. JMO.

Back