pests Stinkbug Damage?

I have been trying not to show my plants "too much" love but it seems like it's one thing after another.  I have just recently had an insane stink bug infestation, I literally found about 50+ behind one curtain just hanging out, and the occasional few on my pepper starts daily. I have noticed little spots on the leaves of my plants and thought it possibly could be bacterial or viral but It hasn't spread and just seems to be on leaves I find the stink bugs on. Could all of these slight problems be from the stink bugs feeding on my plants, or something else. I'm confident the plants are getting the proper nutrients, and they get a bi-weekly Epsom salt foliar spray. Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, that is stink bug damage. I'm dealing with the same thing. They pierce the leaves with a 'straw'-like thingy on their mouth, and inject a digestive enzyme that essentially liquifies the plant. They will kill your plants if it continues. They are starting to become active again this time of year. Pick them off the plants daily and throw them into soapy water to drown. try to remove as many as you can from the room. Pesticides don't work very well on them, but I was reading earlier today about spraying kaolin clay on plants once they are outside.

I hope you sort out your stink bug problem, I'm starting to hate them even more now that you've explained what they're doing to my plants. I found about 10 on one of my yellow brainstrain plants and it just looks rough now. I live in an old house so I kill a couple dozen and it seems like there are 50 more to replace them. 

Must be a different type stink bug than I get here-used to get here.

The ones I got hit up the stems.Saw TONS of black spots where they sucked juice.

I see the main problem with suckers as SPREADING VIRUSES/DISEASES rather than physical damage.

Read the other similar post...

Ouch - sorry about the stink bug problem. But it also looks like the leaves are starting to show signs of fertilizer burn. Back off the epsom salt spray for a bit, and when you return to it, use a lesser quantity for a while. Your plants are still pretty young and don't need much yet.

I thought so too but I hadn't fertilized them or even used Epsom salts when the signs first started showing up. originally I thought I had a magnesium deficiency, but it wouldn't hurt to lay off the Epsom anyways and see how things go because I could be damaging them more if it is burning them on top of the stink bug onslaught.

I did some research, and the fruit tree growers in VA are now using a pesticide called Bifentrin against stink bugs, as of last year. I'm going to try kaolin clay and organic methods first, but if that does not work I may consider it.

I think I might try kaolin clay too because I can't seem to get these things under control I keep noticing more bug and soon after the leaves on my plant start getting light green areas where the bugs were. I just hope they don't kill my plants before plant out.

Back