• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Stone Brewing Company "Crime" Beer

Sorry guys, no video review for this one.  I picked up a bottle of "Crime" from Stone Brewing Company at Jungle Jim's today.  I couldn't wait, so I drank it with dinner tonight.  For those who don't know, "Crime" and "Punishment" are two limited edition beers brewed by Stone Brewing Company.  What makes them so special is they are brewed with peppers.  And not just any peppers.  The full list includes jalapenos, black nagas, caribbean red hots, fataliis, and red moruga scorpions.
 
Here is what the back label reads:
"On Arrogant Bastard Ale's 13th birthday, we threw all of our Bastards together - Arrogant Bastard Ale, OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale - to create Lukcy Bastard Ale.  Later, a crime was committed against this gorgeous beer by adding an absurd amount of freshly harvested local peppers, including mid-level-heat red and green jalapenos and ultra-hot black nagas, Caribbean red hots, Moruga scorpions and fatalis, and thus Crime was born."
 
ABV: 9.6%
Bottle Size: 500ml (1 pt 0.98 fl oz)
 
2013-12-03%2019.20.38.jpg

 
My impressions:
 
Color: a nice dark amber with reddish tones.
Consistency:  A nice medium thickness with a smooth mouth feel, makes a good full bodied head.
Taste: The immediate flavor is peppers here.  But quickly you get a nice caramel, malty flavor, with a decent hint of the bourbon barrel.  The finish if VERY hoppy.  You get a good hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste, but you can also tell that some of the bitters come from the peppers themselves.  If you like IPAs then you will enjoy the hoppy finish of this.
Heat:  Mouth heat was quite tame, in my opinion.  I think the higher alcohol content may have contributed to this as most of the capsaicin may have still stayed in solution with the alcohol as it went down.  You do get a good deal of stomach warmth out of this though.  You can feel it moving down your throat into your stomach as you swallow.  Overall, the heat is not insanely hot, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I think if this were much hotter, it would be unpalatable combined with the strong hop finish.
Overall Impressions:  This was a great beer.  It is certainly not one for everyday drinking.  The flavor is quite nice with the clear distinct pepper taste, and the heat is decent.  Overall, I like this very much.  However, I won't be buying this too often.  At over $21 a bottle, after tax, it really is not very cost economical.  But it's great for a novelty.
 
Nice review. I've never been a huge fan of peppered beers but sounds like I should give this one a shot.
Wonder if there will be any a bit closer than the Jungle. I spend way too much when I go there ;)
 
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Were you able to get the other one, punishment? 
They also had Punishment, but I didn't buy it.  I figured my wife would not be happy at me spending $21 for what amounts to 1 1/4 pints of beer.  If I doubled it, I might have been in the dog house.
 
HopsNBarley said:
Nice review. I've never been a huge fan of peppered beers but sounds like I should give this one a shot.
Wonder if there will be any a bit closer than the Jungle. I spend way too much when I go there ;)
I hadn't checked Liquor Barn.  If it was going to be anywhere in Lexington, I'd bet that would be where we can get it.
 
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
$21?!?!?!?!?

I'll buy a 1.6 of Areogant Bastard down the street for $6 and nibble a jalapeño while I eat it instead.

Maybe I'm a cheap bastard, but hat's just way too much for my tastes, even for a beer made with fancy peppers.
Agreed.  It is WAY too expensive for the amount of beer you get.  As I said, it is more of a novelty than anything else.  I can't see too many occasions where I will want to spend that amount of money again for a little over a pint of beer.
 
Excellent stuff, Brian. Well done!!!
 
I have 2 bottles of both Crime and Punishment - $16.99ea. at Trader Joe`s.
 
For me they are fun, if a little expensive fun. I helped Belching Beaver do a Primo beer and I`m talking with another brewery about doing some more pepper beers, so I figure it`s research! Delusional to the last!!!
 
I`m going to wait until nearer Christmas to drink them and maybe I`ll do a review, too. 
 
Nice review!  Been trying to find this stuff in the DC/NVA area for the past week but no one has any in yet. I hear the Punishment one is way hotter than the crime. Can't wait to try both! And if there isn't a bottle limit I will be buying a bunch. Everyone is going crazy over Bourbon County stuff so I don't think this stuff is even on the radar right now.   :D
 
sosl0w said:
Nice review!  Been trying to find this stuff in the DC/NVA area for the past week but no one has any in yet. I hear the Punishment one is way hotter than the crime. Can't wait to try both! And if there isn't a bottle limit I will be buying a bunch. Everyone is going crazy over Bourbon County stuff so I don't think this stuff is even on the radar right now.   :D
I'm going to give Punishment a try as soon as the sticker shock wears of with my wife ;)
 
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
10 beers: $210 (or $170 at BevMo)
 
12-pack of Anchor Steam:$13.49, 2 ripe Jalapenos: $0.59
 
Tough choice. 
Agreed.  The price really does make it hard to justify buying these.  But if you are looking to splurge and have some extra money to throw around, then this would be a good beer to try.  If it were sold as a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles for a reasonable price, I would definitely buy this on a regular basis.
 
Ok, i'll try to follow the same format as comp haha.
 
ABV: 12.0%
Bottle Size: 500ml (1 pt 0.98 fl oz)
 
WP_20131204_19_33_54_Pro_zps84843dfe.jpg

 
Color: As you can see it looks similar to the Crime in color but its based more off their stout so it is slightly darker and thicker.
Consistency:  The consistency is very much of a stout to me, it has a great mouth feel and very smooth tasting without feeling to heavy or to thin.
Smell: I could  smell the Nagas and Mourgas in this one and could tell it was going to be spicy before even taking a sip. Made my mouth water!  :D
Taste: You can immediately taste the peppers up front and got a nice heat from them.  But like the crime you can then taste the other flavors that are incorporated. Which is great because the heat doesn't really overpower the beer like in beers such as The Ghost Face Killa where all you get is heat. One thing i did notice is the bitterness of the peppers in the aftertaste after the 3rd or so sip. Which was acceptable but I wasn't to fond of.
Heat:  Mouth heat was pretty hot to me for a beer. Hot enough that I could only drink one glass before I had to take a break from it. While drinking my chest and stomach were warm the entire time. Which was fantastic. This is def not a beer you can drink all night. To me it was a fantastic start of the night beer or something I could sip on for awhile while enjoying a movie or a show. Def not something you are going to drink more than 1 glass of imo.  Personally I think if the heat was slightly less it would be absolutely fantastic.
Overall Impressions:  Its the second best beer I have tasted to date that included hot peppers in it, first being Chocolate Heat by Hardywood brewing company. The thicker stoutness of the beer really calmed down the forward heat and allowed the other flavors of the beer to come out and be enjoyed. I personally love trying beers brewed with peppers, but I still think breweries don't really understand peppers well enough to get the right amount of heat while also avoiding the bitterness. They are more so brewed as novelty beers which makes me sad.
 
 
I'll be trying Crime tomorrow night!   :D
 
sosl0w said:
...but I still think breweries don't really understand peppers well enough to get the right amount of heat while also avoiding the bitterness. They are more so brewed as novelty beers which makes me sad.
 
Great observation. I've tried several chili beers dating back to when Humboldt a Brewery had a jalapeño beer back in the early 90s - every one has had a bitter aftertaste from the peppers. Back then they were all IPAs and Pilsners...I remembered thinking they'd maybe need to do a porter to mask that bitterness with the sweet notes, but it might just not be possible to get around that. Jams/preserves, chocolate, candies - they all have a sweet element that lends well to masking the bitter aftertaste. Beer's something I prefer to use to chase the spice, not the source of it.

I'd like to try these for the curiosity, but barely over a pint for $17-21 is a bit much for me to experiment.
 
Ok, here is my take on Crime.
 
ABV: 9.6%
Bottle Size: 500ml (1 pt 0.98 fl oz)
 
WP_20131206_18_11_02_Pro_zpsb8a04587.jpg

 
Color: Color is nice and dark, actually closer to the punishment than I thought, a nice reddish tint.
Consistency:  The consistency was all around very nice. Smooth and enjoyable with a favorable mouth feel.
Smell: With this one I didn't get as much of the distinct immediate heat smell that i did of the punishment. It seemed to be more citrus and fruity smelling and I'll bet that more habs and fatali and such were used in this brew.
Taste: Taste of this one was fantastic and answered the question of what type of peppers they used mostly. The heat was different from punishment and hinted at more of a hab style heat more so than a super hot style heat. It wasn't over powering heat either, as the other flavors came threw nicely, a long with that IPA bite which was quite nice. However I got the same hint of the bitter aftertaste in this one which makes me sad. But over all I think the heat in this one was much tamer than the punishment. The punishment was simply that. Punishment haha. I feel it was much hotter than this one and over all I think I enjoyed this one slightly more because so. Honestly if the punishment had this level of heat I feel it would of taken my number 1 spot for pepper beer. As I enjoy this beer a lot I personally tend to favor stout style beers the most and I just think they are better suited to balance out the heat of the peppers.
Heat:  The heat of this beer was much less than the punishment. It was spicy but I easily finished the glass and had another. It really was almost the perfect heat level imo. Not over powering but enough to give ya a little kick. I think if this heat was paired with a thicker style beer it would off set things perfectly.
Overall Impressions:  This was a fantastic beer and while both Crime and Punishment had there plus and minuses I think they are both worth trying. I did enjoy this one more so than punishment simply because the heat level was slightly less. It had a great flavor and I think any chili head such as ourselves would enjoy both of these beers. So as they are both a little pricey, you only live once fellas and these are def worth putting on your tried list.  :)
 
Ratings for both
 
Crime:              4.0 out of 5.0
Punishment:    3.7 out of 5.0
 
compmodder26 said:
Sorry guys, no video review for this one.  I picked up a bottle of "Crime" from Stone Brewing Company at Jungle Jim's today.  I couldn't wait, so I drank it with dinner tonight.  For those who don't know, "Crime" and "Punishment" are two limited edition beers brewed by Stone Brewing Company.  What makes them so special is they are brewed with peppers.  And not just any peppers.  The full list includes jalapenos, black nagas, caribbean red hots, fataliis, and red moruga scorpions.
 
Here is what the back label reads:
"On Arrogant Bastard Ale's 13th birthday, we threw all of our Bastards together - Arrogant Bastard Ale, OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale - to create Lukcy Bastard Ale.  Later, a crime was committed against this gorgeous beer by adding an absurd amount of freshly harvested local peppers, including mid-level-heat red and green jalapenos and ultra-hot black nagas, Caribbean red hots, Moruga scorpions and fatalis, and thus Crime was born."
 
ABV: 9.6%
Bottle Size: 500ml (1 pt 0.98 fl oz)
 
2013-12-03%2019.20.38.jpg

 
My impressions:
 
Color: a nice dark amber with reddish tones.
Consistency:  A nice medium thickness with a smooth mouth feel, makes a good full bodied head.
Taste: The immediate flavor is peppers here.  But quickly you get a nice caramel, malty flavor, with a decent hint of the bourbon barrel.  The finish if VERY hoppy.  You get a good hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste, but you can also tell that some of the bitters come from the peppers themselves.  If you like IPAs then you will enjoy the hoppy finish of this.
Heat:  Mouth heat was quite tame, in my opinion.  I think the higher alcohol content may have contributed to this as most of the capsaicin may have still stayed in solution with the alcohol as it went down.  You do get a good deal of stomach warmth out of this though.  You can feel it moving down your throat into your stomach as you swallow.  Overall, the heat is not insanely hot, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I think if this were much hotter, it would be unpalatable combined with the strong hop finish.
Overall Impressions:  This was a great beer.  It is certainly not one for everyday drinking.  The flavor is quite nice with the clear distinct pepper taste, and the heat is decent.  Overall, I like this very much.  However, I won't be buying this too often.  At over $21 a bottle, after tax, it really is not very cost economical.  But it's great for a novelty.
This beer sounds badass.
 
Top