chinense Store Bought Habaneros

Because it is still too early to be growing the hot stuff outside, I've been buying the typical orange habaneros from one of our local grocery chains.

But for over the last month or so, the quality of these store bought habaneros has steadily declined.

Most of the pods were in very bad shape, with the majority of them being small and rotted from the top down.

If I was able to find a few that were not yet rotted, once I got them home they didn't last too long at all, even when refridgerated.

But last Satuday, when I decided to once more look for some, I was surprised to see that the pods were in better shape and also much larger in size, than before.

So I decided to pick some up, and also shot a picture of them.

IMG_4463-1.jpg

The largest one is just a hair over 2-3/8" in length.

Not bad for store bought habs around here, and they were crunchy, tasty pods with nice heat too.

dvg

Hey Doug, I bought a bag of these orange habs in December and put them in the dehydrator and made a powder, they will make you sweat - I started dehydrating in the house and after the first hour got yelled at by all, had to move it into the garage. I too have to watch the quality of these imported peppers and just pass over them if they are rotting.

I am going to stop into an East Indian store tomorrow and see if they still are importing fresh red scotch bonnets; I have another African store that sells frozen scotch bonnets just minutes away.

Feel free to keep the seeds because they will germinate, i already tried that and it produced nice pods.

after your first season, you won't have to buy any again; you'll see.
especially if you decide to grow orange habs. my worst pods were most definitely better than the nicest pods you could find around here.

i still have jars and jars of homemade hot sauce, and tons of power/dried pods from the 6 plants i grew last season.

Hey Doug, I bought a bag of these orange habs in December and put them in the dehydrator and made a powder, they will make you sweat - I started dehydrating in the house and after the first hour got yelled at by all, had to move it into the garage. I too have to watch the quality of these imported peppers and just pass over them if they are rotting.

I am going to stop into an East Indian store tomorrow and see if they still are importing fresh red scotch bonnets; I have another African store that sells frozen scotch bonnets just minutes away.

Feel free to keep the seeds because they will germinate, i already tried that and it produced nice pods.

Mark, I haven't tried making any powders yet, but I'll have to dig out our dehydrator and give it a whirl...definitely looking forward to making some after the harvest.;)

And i have to get out to our local East Indian spice and food markets to check out what they are bringing in.

I've talked to some people that say they are able to find some hot fresh peppers there.

after your first season, you won't have to buy any again; you'll see.
especially if you decide to grow orange habs. my worst pods were most definitely better than the nicest pods you could find around here.

i still have jars and jars of homemade hot sauce, and tons of power/dried pods from the 6 plants i grew last season.

CharlesNYC, I'm hoping I am able to get a good harvest this coming year.

And I'm planning on making my own hot sauces, salsas and dried powders.

Right now, I buy the large jars of bulk sized salsa and add diced garlic, onion, habanero and hot sauce just to jazz it up a bit more.;)

dvg

The last bunch I got were large too.. but sooo not hot... then I cut one up in my frozen dinner at lunch today after getting some new ones this wek... and the ones I got this week which are more orangy... but about the same size... was hot enough to make me cough by inhaling the vapor while I was stirring the cut up pieces into the dish....

Got a good sweat going too... not sure where these ones are from but they are not bad...

Probably the same source here too as I noticed the same thing.... I had to really pick through them the last time to get ones that weren't soft or bruised... I got mine at Calgary Co-op as safeway and oddly enough superstore near me do not carry anything more than the mild peppers and jallapeños.. funny with all the asians who go to the superstore by me.. they didn't even have the thai chilies... just the mild jallapeños...

Co-op though has the scotch bonnets or habs depending on the supply at a given week... I think I Have been preferring the taste of the Scotch Bonnets I've been getting... these habs, while hot, haven't got much flavor lately.... but these ones are getting better.

Because it is still too early to be growing the hot stuff outside, I've been buying the typical orange habaneros from one of our local grocery chains.

But for over the last month or so, the quality of these store bought habaneros has steadily declined.

Most of the pods were in very bad shape, with the majority of them being small and rotted from the top down.

If I was able to find a few that were not yet rotted, once I got them home they didn't last too long at all, even when refridgerated.

But last Satuday, when I decided to once more look for some, I was surprised to see that the pods were in better shape and also much larger in size, than before.

So I decided to pick some up, and also shot a picture of them.

IMG_4463-1.jpg

The largest one is just a hair over 2-3/8" in length.

Not bad for store bought habs around here, and they were crunchy, tasty pods with nice heat too.

dvg

Zokambaa, I've found the same thing at Safeway and the Superstores in the Edmonton region.

I have to go to either Sobeys or Save-on Foods to find the orange Habaneros, with Sobeys usually having the fresher selection because they keep their pepper section semi-refridgerated.

There used to be more Co-op food stores in Edmonton, but sadly they have all closed, but there are still a few in some of the surrounding towns.

But if my pepper harvest turns out well, I'm might not be too concerned about where to be buying substandard peppers during the winter months next year.:)

dvg

Back