• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Store Bought Orange Hab Seeds?

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch here in Las Vegas. I had some orange habs I bought at the local grocery and used them to cook with. As my gal was going to be eating a bit of the dish, I seeded the habs before chopping them up. On a whim, I tossed some of the seeds into 3 containers full of leftover soil. Now I have about 25 little orange hab plants about 2 inches tall. Anyone else do this and if so, how did it come out? I would think that they would fare no differently than seed from seed stock vendors but...

Cheers, TB.

I have grown habs (and others) from seeds taken from store bought peppers and I can't complain at all. There is a risk of cross pollination that you won't know about until you have fruits on your plants. If you wanna avoid that you'll have to buy seeds from reliable shops, but I never had a problem. Commercial growers rarely grow several varities in a small area, so the risk of growing a F1 is low. Worth a try imo if you like the peppers you bought.

I've never done it but the seeds were nice and fresh so I bet they germinated really quickly, not like dried ones that you'd buy.

RB..yes, they germinated in only a week. As I just threw the seeds in randomly and covered, today I am culling and transplanting. The orange habs here in the local groceries are consistently good quality and super fresh.

Chiliac,...right you are on crossing. I'll be keeping the habs well away from my beloved pequins...those seeds by the way, I got from none other than IGG from his stock in California before he moved to Cleveland.

Cheers, TB.

I have several O-hab and some Jala plants from store pepper seed.
As long as they ripe pods it shoudl be good. Natch, ya don't rly know what variety they are, but since ain't rare type anyways it shouldnt matter.

You can bet I'm gonna try to sprout seeds from the "Funky Habs" I bought. ;)

Hey TB i`ve got 13 carribean red and orange going now which are all from seeds from last yrs store bought.They came up great so enjoy.

Wow. I'm surprised you guys had such good luck with seeds from store bought peppers! I have tried a bunch, and NONE of them were viable! The seeds from my plants however, started to germinate after a day! I tossed them in a little container with some soil on a heat pad. We'll see how that goes!

I think the store boughts I had were just picked premature.

Pita

Orange habs might be alright with but a lot of greenhouse and field grown peppers grown around here are hybrids to start with so you never know what you'll get from the f2 seeds.

Back