• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Storing Chile Seeds / Desiccants

Hey folks,

I'm attempting to store my own chile and tomato seeds this year and had some questions about how to go about it.   I've got each variety is its own little sealed seed packet and have all of the packets now in a sealed storage container.   I've read in a couple places that they should go into either a refrigerator or a freezer.   I'm curious if one is better than the other and why.   I'm also curious whether I should be putting any packets of desiccant in with the seeds to keep them dry.   Do any of you do this?   If so, do you put them in each and every packet, or do you simply put them into the container into which the seeds are stored?    Let me know, would you?  Thanks.

SCARBO

Pepperbox_sm.jpg

packets_1.jpg

After sitting for some weeks in brown paper on the window shelf, I just make sure that the seeds are dry enough before putting them in small zippies. Then I store each bag in a pepper enveloppe and I keep all the enveloppe in the storage room of my basement (dark and relatively stable temps, around 18C all year long). Never had problem with germ rate until now but still curious to learn about a better/safer storing process...

I put a little 1 gram packet of silica gel
in each of my seed bags.

Seems to keep them pretty well. The bags
are in cigar boxes in my garage.

I also put a packet in my powder jars.

Back