• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Storing in woozy bottles

Hello all,

My first ferment is about finished. The ph is currently 3.0. Tested with two different meters.

Is it okay to simply boil the sauce and pour into hot, sterilized woozy jars  using the hot fill / hold method then cap and shrink wrap?
The woozy jars have plastic lids with the styrofoam liner.
Will it be shelf stable?

If not, is there a way to make this shelf stable in these jars.
I know I can BWB in canning jars but would really like to use the woozy jars instead and not need to refrigerate until after opening.

Thanks for the help!

At a pH of 3, it's gonna be shelf stable. Personally, I wouldn't even boil - I'd just bottle (if you're sure the fermentation has stopped). If you boil, you kill all the beneficial bacteria!

But what you do for yourself and what you do for others are vastly different things. If you are giving this sauce to others then you really should take on much more precautions. Hot fill and hold are fine but you should also recommend refrigeration after opening.

Without boiling the fermenting sauce, it will continue to ferment at a veeeerrry slow rate. 
Following what you outlined-
simmer the sauce
package in the woozy bottles using hot fill hold

Shelf stable product.

Back