• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Strange Growing Habit

I was just outside moving one of my habs into a cloth grow bag, and I noticed something strange, Don't get me wrong. I'm not worried about the plant's health at all. Seems plenty healthy. But check this out. The top view:

8649716993_d1a1d77062_b.jpg

Bottom view:

8649720011_3fe1d59a6c_b.jpg

Ever seen anything like that before? These didn't flower like that last year. Every single branch is loaded down with flowers on the bottom of the leaves like this one. Is it normal for them to do that? I've never seen this bottom flowering before.

overwintered plants can do that. my caribbean reds and orange habs have pods. fatalii are flowering. red scorpion has flowered but dropped them. douglah, brackpore and datil have those tiny little buds(that i am pinching).one year goatsweed were producing pods at this time. my seedling bulgarian carrot have monster flowers and they are only 4" tall.

now, to the other extreme, a second year plant could look really healthy now, then bam! leaves drop and the plant dies within days, all other plants around them are perfectly normal.

good luck on your growing year and thanks for sharing.

overwintered plants can do that. my caribbean reds and orange habs have pods. fatalii are flowering. red scorpion has flowered but dropped them. douglah, brackpore and datil have those tiny little buds(that i am pinching).one year goatsweed were producing pods at this time. my seedling bulgarian carrot have monster flowers and they are only 4" tall.

now, to the other extreme, a second year plant could look really healthy now, then bam! leaves drop and the plant dies within days, all other plants around them are perfectly normal.

good luck on your growing year and thanks for sharing.

I don't like the way that sounds!!!! What would cause one to just crap out like that?

I'm having some problems with overwinters as well. Some are putting out leaves nicely and are looking okay (rocotos, ají amarillo, scorpion, thai), while others (charapita, fatalii, caribbean red) started to leaf out but now they're saying, "Naw, I changed my mind--now I'm gonna die." If you figure this out, I want to know.

I've just never seen all of the flowers hiding on the underside of the leaves like that. Normally, they're over the place. I guess with all of the new growth being so bunched up it's forcing the flowers down.

Same plant. Pods are strating to form. This was grown from seed last year, and I got habaneros from it all last summer. Well, why would my new pods look like this?

It's not all of them, just a handful. Again, this is my hab overwinter.

8675895587_cb98b01e8c_b.jpg

Back