• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Strange jalapeño pods

I saved some jalapeño seeds last year and planted them this year,as you can see from photo they are growing a little strange

e42f4678.jpg

i had a few little balls like that on my plant along with several large regular looking pods. They turned red very fast too. I am interested to know what this is too so hopefully some members know a little scientific background.

I don't know what's up,I bought the seeds last year and grew them,then I saved the seeds from the chillis,and planted them this year

I can't remember what it's called, but it's just a genetic deformity in those pods. You SHOULD get others that grow fine. These will ripen quickly as stated above. I have one single Bhut pod that did the same.

Your seeds were either f1 hybrids when you bought them, or they crossed with other peppers in your garden. Find ther original package, it likely says f1 on it

Not too unusual, I have the same effect on my jalapenos. These are a couple of the first pods on my 2 year old plant after a very hard winter they servived. The newest pods are growing normal.

2012-06-15_080009.jpg

2012-06-15_075910.jpg

i have a overwintered Carribean Red Hab which has got to be root bound by now... its first four pods this year look like that, and ripened when they were the size of a peanut.

im sure all will be fine, just be patient :)

I wonder if the plants have a hard time getting hormones going, but once they do, everything is fine?
Just think of those little guys as "special."

no big deal they cool. i have over a hundred jalo plants and i get a couple little dudes like that here and there. i just eat them and call it a day.

I got a Jalapeno plant that produces those funky ones, too. My biggest pods aren't even that big (1" @ most). I might call it quits for this Jalapeno plant.

What I did was pick off the smaller one(s) and allowed the plant to concentrate it's energy on the existing bigger pods. You probably already know this, but if you touch the pod and the skin feels smooth and hard that's probably the biggest it will get (and it's probably just concentrating on ripening), but if the pod is sort of abrasive and isn't smooth, it's still growing, leave it alone because it's still growing. My two cents. Does anyone else do this?

Back