• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange leaves and uneven coloring

This is my first year really growing peppers, so bear with me.  Several of the peppers in my main in-ground garden area look strange, some more than others.  Most of my Chinense have very puckered leaves and some are folded over like a taco shell.  I've also got an issue with uneven coloring with a darker green along and near the veins.

Not Trinidad Sweet (the worst of the bunch)
JkMPtc6.jpg

Big Sun Scotch Bonnet
pjp2DXI.jpg

Fatalii
XRTEXBU.jpg

Chocolate Habanero
SWKXviy.jpg

Goat Pepper
cvybtPv.jpg

Shishito (chlorosis of new growth just started)
cACIbau.jpg

I have fed at least twice (bad memory) with Jack's Special 10-30-20 at 1 T per gallon of water, epsom salt at 1 T per gallon and a sprinkle of pelletized gypsum at the base of each plant once (trying to correct the wrinkles in the leaves).  At the end of June, we were gone for a week and I set a timer to turn on the soaker hoses for two hours each day at a very slow drip which I now know was too often.  We had about 2.5 to 3 inches of rain 2 weeks ago.  I've only watered once since.  

I've gone over and over the pictures and the plants.  I'm really thinking this is a nutrient/water issue not a virus (fingers crossed).  I lost most of my tomatoes in that area to spider mites which happens every year about this time.  I haven't seen any on the peppers.  I have a jewelers loupe coming in on Saturday to check for broad mites, thrips and spider mites.  I haven't noticed any aphids on the peppers, either.  I have no idea what the pH of the soil is.  We have very hard water, though.  This area of the garden is a mix of soils from different companies but seems to hold water fairly well.  

You guys are the experts.  What do you think?  Most of my plants are just starting to put on blooms, even though they have been in the ground for almost two months and most are around 2 feet tall.  The Goat Pepper has three blooms per node in some places.  I think I may have loved my plants to illness.

Christy

Looks like a fungal virus, a nute deficiency or overwatering.

The leaves are getting bubbly which hints at a calcium deficiency. You seem to be giving them everything correctly, which makes me think fungal virus or overwatering.

How often are you watering? The leaves curl and turn yellow like this when being overwatered.

My guess is too much on the ferts. Just use water for now. I have a few very similarly impacted and I'm positive I put too much time release in.. Mine have been fine. Slowed a bit but still setting pods.

Lower right of last pic looks different. I haven't encountered it in my limited experience.

Back