• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange looking Bhut Jolokias

Hi everyone.

First of all, I'm a newcomer to both the forum and planting-growing scene. On January I germinated a few Bhut Jolokias along with some Cherry Tomatoes inside a temperature controlled tent. Since then, the 2 Bhut plants grew to about 1 meter tall and one of them actually has a few peppers in it (I topped the other one and is flowering at the moment). 

My concern is that the peppers don't look like any Bhut Jolokia I see on the internet. They are thinner and lengthy, rather than "fat" and still totally green (2 weeks since peppers appeared).

Some notes:
  • I believe I've been underwatering them (because I've read somewhere that peppers like getting almost dry). Today I've transplanted the Bhut that is flowering and its root mass was completely dry, although the flowers look very healthy. I fully watered (with warm water) until a few drops of water started falling from the bottom of the container.
  • I hand polinate and have a fan inside the tent to help polination
  • During the day, temperature inside the tent is around 27º (80F). At night drops to around 21 (70F).
  • I've used some fertilizers but right now I'm focusing on a fertilizer rich in Potassium 12-8-16 (small blue balls) in order to try to stimulate fruit grow. 
  • Tomato plant is physically touching the Bhuts. Can this be an issue? 

Any suggestions? What do you guys and girls think?

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_03981.jpg

DSC_03971.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_03921.jpg

DSC_03911.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

Thanks

Pretty sure those are not Bhut Jolokia, maybe Thai or Cayenne?

Unripe Red Bhut Jolokia I grew last year:

IMG_20150711_154420608%20-%202.jpg

Not the best pic, but unripe Long Red Cayenne from last year:

IMG_20150802_080309527.jpg

Definitely look like Cayenne. I'm so disappointed right now (not that I don't appreciate cayenne), but I was sold Bhut Jolokia. 3 months thinking I was growing one of the hottest peppers :(

The Indian PC-1, also known as Naga Jolokia, is sometimes mistakenly sold as the Bhut Jolokia.

The PC-1 is an annum that fits the description of pod phenotype but is not a super hot and is listed as a very hot...for whatever that's worth.

Maligator said:
The Indian PC-1, also known as Naga Jolokia, is sometimes mistakenly sold as the Bhut Jolokia.

The PC-1 is an annum that fits the description of pod phenotype but is not a super hot and is listed as a very hot...for whatever that's worth.

That was very informative! Those peppers look like the ones I have and I can see that it's not uncommon for sellers to swap bhut with naga. That's 45k vs 1m scoville difference :/

I have a few seeds I bought from the same vendor (Carolina Reaper, Habanero Orange, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion). There's no way I can tell if they are trully what they supposed to, is it? How soon can I tell once I germinate?

You won't know what the peppers are going to be until they display their flowers and pod type. Even then it's kind of a gamble until you see a ripened pod since many of them are so similar.

Maligator said:
You won't know what the peppers are going to be until they display their flowers and pod type. Even then it's kind of a gamble until you see a ripened pod since many of them are so similar.
Not entirely true, when you grow enough of them you can tell after after a few weeks as a seedling what species it is.  The plant in the pictures is very obviously not a C. chinense at all, you can tell just by looking at the leaves.

You do have a very beautiful C. annuum growing though, looks happy and healthy.  Not a Bhut though, not even the same species.

Helvete, I was responding to his second paragraph in which he was asking about when he will know if he has true reapers, habs, or Trinidad Moruga Scorps...

johnnyfive said:
Definitely look like Cayenne. I'm so disappointed right now (not that I don't appreciate cayenne), but I was sold Bhut Jolokia. 3 months thinking I was growing one of the hottest peppers :(
This happened to me as well. I ordered "Carolina Reaper" seeds off amazon. Thinking I was growing the hottest pepper in the world, a few months later I had a Red Savina Habanero. Initially I was bummed, but it turned out to be my favorite pepper. Enjoy the pepper you grew and remember, there is always a new grow season around the corner

JohnnyFive - that looks a lot like pimenta dedo-de-moça as we call it in Brasil! (Capsicum Baccatum)

Saudações ao colega lusófono!

Looks like a Cayenne to me. Even without seeing any fruits the leaves and plant alone look nothing like a bhut. Or even a cross with a bhut. Those leaves look like annuum leaves. And here comes the all important question that almost every new grower gets asked. When his bhut turns out to be a Jalapeno. Where did you buy your seeds?

Back