• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Strange New Pepper Found. Identification?

Hey guys, I was getting some fresh produce from a market here in Africa today and when I went to the guy who has all the peppers, he not only had the normal assortment of Scotch Bonnets, Fataliis, and Habaneros, he also had a few of these crazy looking peppers. All were as extremely gnarled as the one pictured below. It's red at the top, so I assume it's a red pepper. It's also really gnarly, so I assume it's very hot. Beyond these two facts I have no clue what it is, can any of you provide a more satisfactory identification?

P1030393.JPG
P1030394.JPG

Yes, but I did notice that the folds on those are mostly vertical, whereas mine are almost exclusively horizontal. Tomorrow I eat the pepper, and hopefully that will provide more info.

Just ate 1/4 of it (it's way too massive to even think about fitting the whole thing in my mouth, and half would still be too big) and was very impressed with the flavor. It's very subtle, not bitter at all, and just generally very pleasant. Not like the "meat" flavor described for the red goronong at all.

The spiciness is quite another matter. The hottest thing I've ever eaten is a few red fataliis, which I've read get to 500k shu. Those absolutely blew the many scotch bonnets I've eaten out of the water, and I always thought that the red fatalii seemed at least three or four times as hot. This topped even the red fatalii by quite a bit. I would guess that this one's shu was around 650k - 800k shu having eaten a sizable amount of it.

Having said how bad the burn was, it actually comes about in much the way that a habanero does. When you first pop it into your mouth, it isn't hot at all. It's literally like eating a differently flavored tomato. One minute in and the burn still is nothing to sweat too much about, but this pepper has something else in store for you. A few minutes after that and if you are not experienced with eating superhots on a regular basis (like me) you are sitting down, clenching your fists, and trying not to scream. 

DWB said:
Red Goronong? :rolleyes:

Too funny.
If you look at floricole's last reply on the first page, that's what he called a pepper that at least supposedly looked similar to it, which I mistakenly thought was the same as a pepper someone else had mentioned. It was a misunderstanding and I apologize.

Back