• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Strange plant...

Hey so I started some pepper seeds this year and my record keeping is abysmal.. but I am pretty sure this plant is the offspring of a chiltepin that I had grown the previous year. During which I grew Manzano, Poblano, Serrano, Jalapeno, and Chiltepin peppers. I do believe I attempted to pollinate a chiltepin flower with the Manzano and that I saved the seeds for this, I know I have in my seed storage a label, with some seeds, that says "C?" perhaps as I did not know if the resulting plants would be a cross? but I don't know if these are the seeds I planted etc. To say the least I feel it is more likely a case of mistaken identity which has resulted in this plant, or a strange mutant, because as I have read this cross is perhaps impossible or incredibly unlikely, even more so that I only planted the seeds in one cell and not in great quantity. So I am basically trying to confirm that this is clearly not what I think it could be and instead either an alternative hybrid, common mutant/mutation, or one of the many varieties that I started this year of which does include a mixed seed package which leaves some up to chance. I have looked at the other plants that I have grown and it doesn't match anything so my curiosity and nervousness about killing the thing have caused me to escalate to asking around.

I have attached a picture of the plant and a closeup of the leaf.

Attachments

• PotentialCrossPlant.png
    PotentialCrossPlant.png
    2 MB · Views: 172
  • PotentialCrossLeaf.png
    PotentialCrossLeaf.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
so I started some pepper seeds this year and my record keeping is abysmal..

but I am pretty sure this plant is the offspring of a chiltepin that I had grown the previous year.

During which I grew Manzano, Poblano, Serrano, Jalapeno, and Chiltepin peppers.

I do believe I attempted to pollinate a chiltepin flower with the Manzano

I know I have in my seed storage a label, with some seeds, that says "C?"

perhaps as I did not know if the resulting plants would be a cross? but I don't know if these are the seeds I planted

To say the least I feel it is more likely a case of mistaken identity which has resulted in this plant or a strange mutant,

or one of the many varieties that I started this year of which does include a mixed seed package which leaves some up to chance.

I have looked at the other plants that I have grown and it doesn't match anything

So I am basically trying to confirm that this is clearly not what I think it could be and instead either an alternative hybrid, common mutant/mutation,

so my curiosity and nervousness about killing the thing have caused me to escalate to asking around.

Hmm now that I look at this more closely maybe this is a scotch-bonnet.

it has a vague resemblance perhaps false alarm due to a seed that fell into the wrong cell.

Well there goes all my excitement. I guess shut it down unless someone manages to disagree.

1652142915308.png

Just as an update to this, the plant is still a little strange, I think it might have dwarfism or something. It is still quite stunted. I have my doubts it will flower given the abnormal growth, but it is finally just forking at the top. Is there any possibility that this is herbicide damage? I have some tomatoes that had a short bout of curling leaves but no peppers are symptomatic as far as I can tell (except for maybe this one).

Attachments

• Strange_Plant_Update.png
    Strange_Plant_Update.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Back