• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

strange ringlike discoloration.

sorry about the picture quality, i do not have my cameras usb cable with me so i had to take this picture with my usb microscope thing.
Image18.jpg

anyway this started on my naga morich plant, and is now showing up on an adjacent habanero plant. it starts out locally in one area of the foilage, then it seems like it spreads around.
this appears on the newer growth first.

this isnt like any deficiency symptom ive ever seen. ive also looked at the leaves at150x magnification looking for mites or something else. the rings just look chlorotic up close.
the only thing ive found that is similar is tomato spotted wilt virus.
pepperleaf.jpg

edit: to clarify the top picture is my leaf and the bottom is an example of toamto spotted wilt on a pepper plant

I've never seen this before but I'd bet it's some type of fungus. I doubt if it's a good thing too. Hopefully someone around here knows what it is and can suggest some way to control it. Best of luck to you.

i thought about a fungus as well, nothing rubs off tho, and i dont see anything strange at 150x magnification.
however i have 0 experiance with fungus.

I would guess one of those "Mosaic" viruses.

i hope you are wrong :( i droped like 150 bucks on peat bales perlite and wetting agent!
i dont want to have to throw it all away. i had plans to store my mix leech it and reuse next year. i had always thought plant virus's were crazy rare outside big farms.

im thinking ill drop the 20 bucks to get leaf tissue analyzed, if there are no deficiencies showing ill assume its a virus.
or maby i could just email someone at the university of new mexico for an opinion.

As a rule, when you first identify a potential bacterial or viral disease, you isolate the plants and everything near them. not just from your healthy plants, but from anything else. next step is figuring out what the heck it is. when viral it is just safer to dispose of the plants. in other cases it might actually require you to do much more like dispose of ALL your plants and related materials, disinfect EVERYTHING and clean like crazy. this is no joke... DO NOT lay back and wonder what it is. by the time you do, it might infect and kill everything around you. I say this a lot and as a joke, but you might seriously need to kill it with fire. I'd take a sample with pics of the whole plant to an expert or your local authority to identify. they will probably tell you what is needed to be done.

Good luck.

Could it simply be a variegation that is not fully expressed? I'm very intrigued by this. Let's hope for the best!

i had a chance to take a good close look at all the plants today after work, and all the chininses minus my bhut have the same symptoms to some degree, annums and my tabasco seem fine however... my bhut was potted up with promix hp fresh out of the bag all the way up to 10 gallons, all the others though were potted up to 10 gallons with recycled diy promix blended into some fresh made diy promix.
so i guess one of the tomato plants whos soil i reused could of had the virus and after i blended in its soil it contaminated the rest, the catch tho is that according to the one article i read the virus is spread almost exclusively by thrips(which i have NEVER seen). this is what ive read so far in my limited spare time atleast. it could turn out to just be an entirely different virus. ideally i would like it to not be a virus at all haha.

anyway i moved all the suspect plants to one side.. i wont pretend that thats a good method to isolate them, but its all im willing to do. they are all connected to a drip system that is entirely too convienient to not use, id rather chop them down. i ordered a new cable, ill post up some better pictures when i get a chance.

A buddy of mine who's working on his PhD in Botany suggests it's some type of virus. He recommended isolating the infected plants. If it doesn't clear up he said pretty much the same that OMRI did and added one more tidbit. If any peppers were to grow to maturity on the infected plants it's possible the seeds may carry the virus too.

If it were my plants I would start a fire. Sorry.

Back