food Stuffed Danish Squash with brussels and braised leeks

I tasted this 7 pot Congo SR, it was sweet, it first with a nice building heat and a slight floral aroma. I also used one of my thai hybrid chilis that has an abrupt quick heat that lasts.  I thought that this would ensure a pervasive heat throughout the dish.

Roasted Danish Squash stuffed with 7 pot & Thai Chili Jasmine Rice with a side of carmelized brussels and braised leeks.

First, I halved and seasoned the squash with olive oil, a touch of nutmeg and clove, salt and pepper.  I put a clove of garlic in the pool of oil in the bottom of each half.  Then roasted these at 350, I threw the leeks in the same pan.
I made some jasmine rice in homemade chicken stock and right when it was done I tossed it with the minced chilis and recovered it.
I carmelized the brussels in a dutch oven with salt and pepper a touch of red wine vinegar and a touch of soy.
I stuffed the squash with the seasoned rice, topped it with a slice of heirloom tomato and some gorgonzola then threw it in the broiler to melt down the cheese.

7 Pot Congo SR (from Mike, smileyguy) and my home grown unknown Thai Hybrid.*

*A note about these orange thai's... they are my seeds from thais grown last season.  They do grow upwards like the originals, they are a little less hot than my ROF cayenne, quite sweet, and nice flavor.  I think they may have crossed with habaneros last season but also could be a Thai X Cayenne.  Whatever they are, they are my babies and I love them.

Hot jasmine rice

The final product

This was a very nice vegetarian dish that I made last night.  The heat was subdued by the gorgonzola, the flavors matched nicely.  I am sure it would have been too spicy for some with the fresh peppers in the rice but I thought it was quite nice.

Let me know what you think.

Ohh yaaa!  Crystal was on everything for a while, I got a 2 gallon container from work when I lived in New Orleans and would even drink it by the spoonful sometimes.  I try to keep it to chicken and red beans nowadays just to keep things interesting.

By the way, I did mix my red beans with the left over spicy jamine rice, and a little crystal.

Back