food Stuffed Rocotos!!!

I made this last night to bring to our friend Lisa's 40th B-Day party and it was the hit of the fricken night. A lot of the drunks just thought they were stuffed bell peppers!! Ha ha!! I followed this recipe for the most part, but added maybe 2 tablespoons of Aji Armarillo paste half way through the cooking of the meat. It's one of those "this is to die for dishes" I wish I took pictures of it....

Oh, and use small Yukon potatoes boiled until soft and just shove the peppers in the the center of your potatoes, throw on some cheese & milk and bake....

Stuffed Rocotos
This recipe is a signature dish of Arequipa, a city spectacularly located in the Andes of southern Peru. Famous throughout the country, it has become a national dish, right behind ceviche and aji de gallina. The Peruvians typically accompany stuffed rocotos with beer, although a red wine is also appropriate. Note: This recipe requires advance preparation.

6 rocotos (large jalapenos may be used as a substitute) I used 15. Home grown
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup pitted olives, chopped (I used pitted green olives)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons raisins
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 yellow potatoes, boiled and cut in half
1 cup grated mozzarella or Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup milk
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

One day prior to serving, cut the tops off the rocotos. The tops may be saved as a garnish. Remove all seeds and veins. Soak the rocotos for 24 hours in a bowl of water with 2 tablespoons salt, changing the water at least twice.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and cook until tender. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add the meat and cumin and fry until cooked. Add the olives, salt, raisins and the beaten egg.
Stuff the rocotos with this mixture.
In a glass baking dish, arrange the rocotos and potatoes. Add the milk and arrange the cheese atop the rocotos.
Bake at 400° F for 40 minutes.
Yield: Six servings as an appetizer
Heat Scale: Hot

IMG_4506.jpg

cheezydemon said:
Why soak them? If it is to reduce heat, couldn't that be skipped?

It does sound good though, I am iify about the raisins.
No they are great. I put raisins and toasted pignolis in my stuffed poblanos.

I know raisins would probably be good, but for some reasons, me and raisins in food, are like me and movies that are dramas.

I have to be dragged kicking and screaming, but then it usually ends up being good.;)

I'll try it.

I soaked them to slightly reduce the heat. If I was making them for my self I would have skipped that step. And about the raisins. I'm usually not a big fan of cooking with raisins, but they were perfect in this. My chef friend said the same thing.

Funny!just came across these at the latin market yesterday picking up tamale supplies!I will be trying this in a couple days.My vote is without raisans...okay OKAY!I'll be authentic!These are yellow rocottos,almost as big as apples!I already have a 4"seedling of these so I'm wondering if anybody would like some of the seeds?Message me

Just don't over do it with the raisins. They add just the perfect amount of sweetness to counteract some of the heat.

I have so many seeds around here, so I don't need any. But I have Aji Lucento seeds, which I think is a form of red roccoto if anyone needs some I've got a few . Here's what they look like:
IMG_3850.jpg

imaguitargod said:
Ok, I think I'm going to have to grow Rocotos again this year just so I can try this.....

The Aji chili is the easiest thing to grow! Aji, Rocotto, manzano or whatever! Make sure you have room for them. I'm going with 1/2 wine barrels this year. I also just put a bunch of seeds into my wife's garden! I'M TAKING OVER AND THERE'S NO STOPPING ME!!! Except for her......but that's only if she finds out.... so nobody says a word.... unless it's about the bird... have you heard?!?!?

I don't trust a "chef" who heats the oil 'till it smokes, as he does in the video. When the oil hits it's smoking point, it's ruined! And it tastes like sh*t. Also, he fries the garlic at very high temp, another no-should-do. Garlic gets bitter then.

Just my 2 sour cents :P

well they still looked good... you could just do it the way you said it, garlic on a lower temp and not smoke the oil. I think it would be a great appetizer.

the 2 sour cents were actually quite nice.

I didn't watch the rest of the videos, so there might be more wrong doings :)
But I agree with you - they looked very nice. Just do things right, and it should be wonderful!

Yes,burned garlic is no good!But I do know how to cook and always make adjustments.Kinda funny he always leaves the burner cranked even when no pan is on!I consider most recipes just a starting point...usually add or subtract at my own discretion.He also does a potato dish that bears looking into.

YES!!! Never burn the garlic. My family's Sicilian and burnt garlic was always a sin. I'm going to try that recipe in the videos if my last ones ever ever ripen. I'll still bake it with the potatoes.

Back